white flea looking creatures

buddy_mayhew

In my tank there are white little flea or lice like looking creatures. They are one the walls of the tank as well as on the fish here and there. Are these harmful to the fish, and how would I go about getting rid of them?
Thanks.

dsmattice

I have the same things on my glass and was looking for help here. Keep me posted if you find anything out.

I assume that both of your tanks are new. So is mine. I have a book that Ive been reading for a while called "The New Saltwater Aquarium Handbook." This book desribes the white spots as parasites and oxygen concentration. I have the same problem so I went out and bought some cleaner shrimp. They will eat the parasites off the fish. If your tank is like mine there is alot of the white stuff in the water and on the glass. Ive been told also that they can be sea fleas. They dont sound to be harmful. Get a second opinion there may be others that will disagree with me.
[ December 04, 2001: Message edited by: just_got_tanked ]

clownman

I had some but as soon as I added two cleaner wrasses, I just don't see those anymore :mad:
I always thought they were beneficial as I started to see those when my tank just cycled and continued to see them afterwards.
One disclaimer, do not get cleaner wrasse. They will die on you. Although mine hasn't but it will based on what I read so far. :mad: :eek: