white hair like stuff on live rock

guineawhop

i bought this one piece of live rock that had a piece of brain coral skeleton on it the size of a baseball about 4 months ago. now there is this white hair like stuff on the brain coral skeleton. do you know what this stuff is??

puffer32

I have it to, on more then 1 rock though, anyone know? I don't think its those spagetti worms I saw on the hitchhilers thread.

fishieness

that woudl be my guess. eithere that or spoinids. check out the hitchiker thread to compare. Are they all comeing out of one hole? Or jsut many different single ones?

puffer32

Mine are more like fine white hair, not in bunches. I just went and tooth brused my rock and they are gone.

fishieness

well if they are indeed the worms, then it doesnt mean that the worms are gone. Its just the mucusy strand that they use to trap food. They may re-apear. But they may not, its hard to tell because we dont knwo what they are

guineawhop

mine are like hairlike stuff bunched up like a hairball kindof and they're white. i doubt it would be left over flesh this rock is a few months old, it would have been decayed by now.

T

tizzo

I have no idea...sorry, but here is what I do know. If you look real close the "hairs" come in pairs, which lead me to believe they are antennas or something like it, also the retract when you touch them, as shown in the second pic. I've had them on this particular piece of rock since my tanks been established and they haven't hurt anything nor have they spread...
I recently put a ricordia on this exact rock and it's doing very well, so what ever they are, they aren't harmful...

guineawhop

Originally Posted by fishieness
a spounge maybe? Is it kinda fuzzy-snot looking?
it's definitely fuzzy kindof look to it but i know it's not a fungus. i wish i could take a pic of it but my digi cam is only a 2 mega pixel and can't zoom on something like that.