white mangrove growing

nuro

does anyone have experience with these? ive grown reds for about a year now and i was contemplating addign a few whites to the mix. has anyone tried?

aquaknight

No whites, but I have tried black mangroves. Out of about 10, only one survived past 2 months, and still only made it around 9 months.
Blacks are typically found in intercoastals, bays, in brackish water. Whites are found even further upland, almost in completely freshwater. I suspect successes with whites in our full salinity tanks will be limited at best.
In addition, white don't have any aerial roots. Their root structure is entirely underground, so one with any size will need a far larger sandbed then a red mangrove. Not to mention they look genuinely like trees, not the 'mangroves' everyone thinks of.

nuro

thanks for the info, i was actually thinking of growing them separate from the tank..maybe plumbing it together but im not sure about that yet. i was thinking id use the water from my water changes for them at leats, no use lettign that water goto waste.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by nuro
http:///forum/post/3128992
thanks for the info, i was actually thinking of growing them separate from the tank..maybe plumbing it together but im not sure about that yet. i was thinking id use the water from my water changes for them at leats, no use lettign that water goto waste.
Well the other thing I didn't mention was how you'd set it up. Whites are also by far the most terrestrial of the three Florida mangroves. All the pics and locations of whites I've seen personally, they're out of the water. Granted, they tend to be in muddy areas, right on the coast, prone to flooding, but they are usually 'out of the water' if that makes sense.
I'm not sure how one would do with most of it's trunk submerged in a typical setup with red mangroves. I think that's what did my black in....

nuro

well just for the hell of it i put one in a sponge and partially submerged the sponge in my HOB refuge. we'll see what happens. the others ive got sitting on my porch in a super wet sand. I figure if they root ill move them to a lined pot thatll hold maximum moisture and continue to water them with old tank water, ill figure theyll get enough fresh from the rain.