White Mite looking Creatures.

crypt keeper

I have a little green alge growing on the back of my tank near my filter head. I noticed today that it was moving. As I looked harder I noticed some white almost clear looking mite thing running around on the glass. There is about 30 of them ranging in size from very very tiny to about the size of a regular black ant. Are these good? I have about 13 pounds of live rock in a 30 gallon tank. Only thing I have kept in the tank is a snowflake Eel. Had him about 3 months. Eats great and I just fed it. Ate like a monster still so he doesnt seem sick.
What on earth are these things. Good bad? Should I get rid of them?

crypt keeper

what are they good for? Do I control them or just let them go? Where the hell did they come from and just show up all of a sudden? Im planning on adding some more cured live rock this weekend.

b.j.

Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/2656678
what are they good for? Do I control them or just let them go? Where the hell did they come from and just show up all of a sudden? Im planning on adding some more cured live rock this weekend.
They are very good. To quote this website:
"Copepods are an essential part of the marine ecosystem. In the ocean they serve as one of the largest food sources. In the home aquarium they will be eaten by many different species of fish including Mandarins, Scooter Blennies, Seahorses, Pipefish, and all other small species that may be difficult to feed.
These copepods will live in, under and around live rock. They feed on the detritus (leftover food, fecal matter, etc.) on your sand and rock. They grow and multiply to provide a great source of nutrition for your fish and Seahorses"
Some people like me are very jealous of you right now. I have had to buy them in the past!

camfish

They eat the poop, the fish eat them, the fish poop, they eat the poop, the fish eat them, the fish poop, they eat the poop, the fish eat them, the fish poop, they eat the poop, the fish eat them, the fish poop, they eat the poop, the fish eat them, the fish poop, they eat the poop, the fish eat them, the fish poop, they eat the poop, the fish eat them, the fish poop, they eat the poop...yada yada yada. But you still have to feed your fish

crypt keeper

Originally Posted by B.J.
http:///forum/post/2656737
They are very good. To quote this website:
"Copepods are an essential part of the marine ecosystem. In the ocean they serve as one of the largest food sources. In the home aquarium they will be eaten by many different species of fish including Mandarins, Scooter Blennies, Seahorses, Pipefish, and all other small species that may be difficult to feed.
These copepods will live in, under and around live rock. They feed on the detritus (leftover food, fecal matter, etc.) on your sand and rock. They grow and multiply to provide a great source of nutrition for your fish and Seahorses"
Some people like me are very jealous of you right now. I have had to buy them in the past!

My tank is still very young. Maybe a tad over 4 months after intial set up and water was poured in. I have no fish. I have just the Eel cause I have been obssesed with them since I was younger. My water is damned perfect as far as PH trites and trates. ammonia and salinity. I have done about 5 water changes in those 4 months. I try to do one every 3 weeks as time permits. Thats why I have yet to go bigger.
Upon further review of my tank I have a, excuse my vulgar, Sh*t load. They are everywhere. On my rock all over the glass. How did they just show up? never had a single fish other than the yellow tailed damsel and I gave him back cause the Eel kept trying to eat him.
here are a few photos of my tank and Eel.
Any suggestions????

T

tizzo

They didn't just show up, they came in on that rock in your tank.

b.j.

Even though you only have one peice of rock, they came on that. And they breed like bunnies. And they will continue to do so. you really shouldn't worry about it they only help your ecosystem!

crypt keeper

Im picking up more rock this week. maybe going to add a fish or two. Tank does look depressing. What would be a good few fish. This is only a 30 gallon long. Im thinking two fish maybe 3 at most then it will be a tad over crowded. Need some snails.

bang guy

Don't Snowflake Eels eat Snails? I'm not sure, check in the Aggressive Forum before you spend money on Snails though.

b.j.

They will if they are hungry enough. I have a Eel and he has never gone after my snails. The secret is to keep them fat and happy. He did however eat some flame scallops that were in the tank with him. I inherited him and his tank mates and the tank from a friend that couldn't keep it in his new apartment.

crypt keeper

I plan on buying about 30 pounds more of live rock and putting it in my tank. Is this Fiji rock all its cracked up to be? I have a place down the street that has pretty decent curred rock for about $7.99 a pound. But if the Fiji is where its at I will buy this.

robdog696

The type of rock really doesn't matter. Different rock comes from different parts of the ocean, and therefore has different textures etc. Some is heavier, some more porous, and some just comes in larger pieces or more desirable shapes. Fiji is the industry standard, but 7.99/lb is ridiculous. I'm getting ripped off at 6.50/lb. Find your state reef club's website via google and check the live goods/used equipment section for people in your area selling liverock.
My question is what are you feeding the eel? For your copepod population to be thriving you must be feeding something organic. If you are feeding flake foods or something like that you might want to cut back on how much you feed. An explosion in copepod population probably means your eel is leaving a lot of uneaten food for them.

crypt keeper

I have found some people breaking down their tanks locally and selling their live rock. Is their rock safe to just throw in my tank right away?
like this person ad states
"I have rock covered with zooanthids, yellow figi, green star polyp rock, mushroom rock, purple monti, purple tip green hammer corals from $10 to $25. Also have a sand star and black serpant star for $5 each."
What is all that and is it a good deal?
I feed my eel daily and he eats 1 freeze dried shrimp everyday. I moved his rock the other day to see if he was eating sopme and leaving the rest like you stated. There was nothing. I had a decent amount of green alge growing on the back of the tank and that was where the big copepods are.

welcome to the hobby
its one of the most rewarding ones
your off to the right start to hesitant thoughtful and curious.
ask questions everyone here is happy to help.
to answer your question about live rock with corals on it:
give a few mushrooms a try they do well in about any flow with most water parameters. live rock from others tanks can be a blessing or a curse.
got a few great piece with sponges, encrusting hard corals,some mushroom babies etc.

and
in the past i got flutes from another persons live rock worst day of my tanks life yet.

simple strategy: quarentine everything by this i mean have another setup that mimics your DT(display tank) and let everything go through there 1st this will save you headaches in the future. your eel looks awesome they love O2 rich water and if ya keep em fat on a varied diet(fresh is always best)(and vitamin supplement s help) then they shouldn't eat your snails.

crypt keeper

So I picked up Picasso Trigger small guy maybe 2 inches long to add to my tank along with about 10 more pounds of curred FIJI live rock. They look great in there. The Eel is happy. I went with Picasso after reading they are less aggressive in a community tank. I know I only have a 30 gallon long but I can sell him and just keep having small fish for a while. I will see how it does.