white roots growing on glass

randolph

i have some white looking little roots growing on my glass and everything else in my tank. any ideas what new headache this is?
i have dead coral pieces and they are growing on them as well.
they are small buy everywhere. they almost look like little tubes.
:eek:

Have any pics? By your description, I would guess.....Fanworms. Not a problem at all. Good actually. I wouldn't worry if that's what they are. If you have a pic post it to make sure though...

That's probably what they are. No worries, they are good for your system. Just make sure they don't get too thick in your water lines. They have been known to clog up return lines.

randolph

thanks for your reply and the new knowledge i will keep an eye on them. does anything eat them or it?

surfnturf

I had these show up in my tank in the last few weeks too. I would say tubeworm/fanworm, but these guys branch out like a tree root. There is no apparent filter feeding mechanism either, strange creature.

surfnturf

I took another look at the tank, trying to figure out what these were, it appears that the sponges I have on the glass are sending out these "roots" and that the places where I have just the "root" I am getting new sponges. The look somewhat like trunicates, but only have a central opening surrounded by a filter feeding arrangement. Anybody that can pin this down?

fshhub

if they blook like braches or roots, in no apparent shape(unlike fan worms or feather dusters) they are probably foraminferans(sp), not bad at all, in fact they are good. They would be a type of pod, actually.

nacl-h2o

It could also be a type of sponge. I use to have some sponges that branch across the glass like roots. If these are sponges, check, if you look close you will be able to find the opennings on top.