white slime on rocks

new jack

I bought a piece of rock from a fish store and it was completely covered with purple coralline. Then I saw there was a section of the rock covered with white slime like thing. It can be scraped off. Should I scrape it off or just keep it on there. It doesnt look bad but I dont want it to spread or hurt my tank. Also, when a crab sheds its old skin will it just biodegrade or do I have to take it out of there. Thanks.

finger@leathers

Originally posted by New Jack:
<strong> Also, when a crab sheds its old skin will it just biodegrade or do I have to take it out of there. Thanks.</strong><hr></blockquote>
Just leave it in there. It will dicenagrate in the tank. Actually, its good for the tank. I heard when it desolves, it adds helpful chemicals in the tank that will eat up any harmful substance. I could be wrong, this i what i heard

ruaround

When a crab "sheds" its called molting... If you have a good clean up crew you can leave it in there they will eat it in no time. Im not sure about the white slime do you have a pic?

wrassecal

How long have you had the live rock in your tank? I can't be sure of course but it could be that some of your coralline bleached out and will again start turning pink/purple or it could also be spreading. After I add lr I have gotten white dusting and white solid looking and have always left it alone and it goes to pink or purple. There is also a white corraline algae. check out garf.org and they have algae info. :)

new jack

THANKS FOR THE REPLYS. IT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE CORALLINE. iT'S MORE SLIMY AND IT SCRAPES OFF LIKE A GOO. I HAVE ONLY HAD IT IN MY TANK FOR ABOUT ONE DAY, BUT IT HAS BEEN AT THE FISH STORE FOR A REALLY LONG TIME. I CONVINCED THE GUY TO SELL ME A PIECE FROM HIS CORAL DISPLAY TANK BECAUSE IT HAD METAL HALLIDE OVER IT AND WAS COMPLETELY COVERED WITH PURPLE CORALLINE, THEN WHEN HE TOOK IT OUT THERE WAS THIS WHITE STUFF ON THE BACK. IT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE ANY OTHER ALGEA IN MY TANK.

susiepan

NewJack,
Could it be that the guy had a Anenome in the tank, and it died...I know dead Anenomes , especially carpets, will slime like crazy when deteriorating, maybe thats what it was...Just a thought...Is it gone now??
~Susie ;)