white spot on clown

ivy2dw7

I know I know, there are a million of these posts everyday. I just tried giving my clownfish a freshwater bath to see if the spot would come off, but it didn't. I have another clown and a royal gramma in the tank with him and neither of them show any signs of ich. I have had the royal gramma for a little over 3 weeks and the 2 clowns for about 2. The spot isn't embedded into the clown, it's like a bump on top of his gill or right next to his gill, hard to tell. He's swimming, playing and eating fine, no signs of being terribly ill. Should I go ahead and treat the tank for ich? If so, how can I do this? I also have hermits, snails and some shrimp in there, so I don't want to kill them. I wish my cleaner shrimp would do his job :notsure:
I'd post a picture but I just spent 10 minutes trying to get a clear one and failed miserably. The clowns are always in my face yet never sit still long enough to pose for a picture!

ivy2dw7

Um anyone...? I noticed the white bump yesterday.
Water parameters:
pH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0-5
SG: 1.027
About 20 pounds LR, 20 pounds lace rock, no corals yet, just 15 assorted snails, 9 hermit crabs (1 was killed 2 nights ago), 2 peppermint shrimp, 1 cleaner shrimp. I'd say the tank has been running fully cycled for at least a month and a half now, if not 2 months. I do not have a QT tank, although i have an Eclipse 6g that I could probably set up as a QT for antyhing new I put in the tank. But if my fish does in fact have ich, then I need to treat the whole tank, not just him, so a QT wouldn't be helpful.

92protruck

Could be lymphocyctis. A couple of us have recently diagnosed our new clowns with lympho. Sounds pretty common. Do a search on this site and see if that helps.

ivy2dw7

Is it possible that it could just be a scale shedding? It's right above his fin. If it is ich though, has anyone found a treatment that works in their main tank with invertebrates?

lendef

I have been using a Product by Chem Marin called Stop Parasites. I have Peppermint Shrimp and they seem to be fine. It is supposed to be all natural and safe for inverts. Started using late thursday and today(saturday) seems as if the white dots are less. Will let you know. Seems to be working although I am headed to get some cleaner shrimp today in hopes of adding the second knockout punch. I have had no ill effects from any of my inhabitants. There is info on this on the web. Hope this helps.

ivy2dw7

Well the fuzz ball is still there on my clown. There are no new spots and nothing has spread to my two other fish. I don't know what to do about it. He isn't acting ill at all, so I'm not sure what to do about getting the fuzz ball to disappear.. :notsure: It seem slike he is trying to get it of of himself every once in awhile, he'll dive into teh sand to scrape it off but it won't come off. My royal gramma has been scraping against rocks and the sand lately too.. not sure why. :confused:

ivy2dw7

OK, update on the fuzz ball. It is still on my clown. I have been feeding my fish a mixture of frozen mysis shrimp, marine cuisine and freshly minced garlic for the past 2 days. I will be feeding this to them for now on. But I'm just wondering, if this is lymphocytis, how long will it take for the fuzz to go away? It's just that one spot right above his fin. He is still acting healthy as are the other 2 fish.