white stingy stuff floating alone in tank?? help!

krypton74

I have attached a picture of this white string stuff floating in our tank. we cannot for the life of us figure out what it is. i am wondering if it is some kind of spore or something from our new feather dusters? this is beyond me! we did get a a gramma, tiger goby, 2 shrimp and 3 feather dusters from SWF on weds. aclimated over the 3 hour time thing... fish have been pretty skittish, but are starting to come around. shrimp molted - i am hoping that means he's happy, feathers are moving a bit, so things are getting back to normal... we had two false percs in there to start with....
any other info that might help you all? i did a search first and didn't come up with anything....

beth

Administrator
Staff member
It looks like a sweeper from a coral. :D Usually means the coral is upset. Aggression. What coral is it?

T

thomas712

You might not recognize this snail, they look like this.

krypton74

ok - so i did some research on the vermetid snails. let me know if i am off base. they secrete a mucus like substance to "catch" food - then reel it in to feed? they are not harmless. they may help to filter water. came in as hitchhikers on the live rock.
hmmm... that mucus stuff sure looks gross though!! we thought we had some pretty weird things going on in the tank.
we do have some white spiral "tube worm" things growing on the glass in certain areas. they might be the snails as well.
could they be bad at all?
thanks for all your help. sure glad my thread was moved from disease and treatment. it does make me feel a bit better...

krypton74

we do have a bunch that i can see. after i posted on sat - i have'nt seen the stringy stuff since then... i'll keep my eye open and report back! thanks for the answers!
i read somewhere that it might be from a feather duster? is that possible?

clarkiiboi

Originally posted by krypton74
we do have some white spiral "tube worm" things growing on the glass in certain areas. they might be the snails as well.
could they be bad at all?

Those are probably spirobidae (sp) worms--harmless also. If they get on the front glass you can scrape them off with your mag float. I Agree with the vermetid snail for the other, mine spiral at the base then go straight out like Thomas's pic. HTH