White tubes growing out of rock!

sduda

I have a piece of LR that has these white tubes growing out of it. One is about 3/4" long and the other is about 1/2. They're both from the same rock. Out of that is this long stringy stuff. It looks like a white piece of hair or someone blew their nose and left it hanging (bad visual). Any idea?

b_ball12_99

Sounds like feather dusters. Look at other posts about them. Don't worry about them. They are inverts. worms and the filter feed. They mostly add looks to the tank.

C

coralbeauty

I agree with the above post. They are tubeworms. I have them all over my tank. They came in on a piece of live rock and they have multipled quickly around the tank. They are filter feeds and in general very hardy.
Connie

total

I agree as well. I've got quite a few my self. I enjoy them, and I glad I got something for my money when I bought the rock.
My question is, how big will they get. The plume that is.
TTFN

C

coralbeauty

I do not know how big the little whites will get. The ones I have are very small. The very largest one's head is not as big as a dime. Most are much smaller. I have had these in my tank for almost 2 years. So, I think theyn are going to stay small. However, I have two tubeworms in my other reef that I have purchased which have been in my tank for more than 3 years that are huge. One's head is at least 4 to 5 inches across, the other one is only about 2 to 3 inches.
I really think these little guys add to the tank.
Good luck,
Connie