White tubes on rock

rivrat

Hello,
I got a few questions about some rock.
I 've had may tank setup for almost a month now and have tracked the cycle day by day(LOL got to be a newbie)and all my paras. are good.I waited 3 days after all lvls were good and decided to add some base rock.When I bought the rock it had little white tubes all over it,so just to make sure it wasn't live I smelled it and it smelled clean.It's been 2 days since I put it in my tank and all lvls still read good,but i was looking around and seen that quit a few of the white tubes had what looked like a red worm with a brownish feather on it coming out of the end of them.What might this be good? bad?
I would post a pic. but I don't have a digital camera.
Thanks,
rivrat:notsure:

snipe

It is probly a feather duster I have some to I will post a pic tomorrow so you can compare.

mbrands

Do you notice if the brownish feathers move in and out of the tube? If so, it is likely a featherduster as Snipe said. My rock has quite a few on it as well.

loopy

I just added live rock and it has the same white tubes...they are hard, but they have these white feathery things coming out of the ends. Really small. They look kind of neat. Are these good or bad? I'll wait and see the pic to see if we are talking about the same thing, but sounds like it.....they aren't like some kinda creepy worm are they??

rivrat

Ya they all move in and out of the tubes if you move to fast by the tank,got to be still and just watch them come out. That's what I thought they were but was just checking.Guess I got my first life form in the tank now lol. I'm still going to wait till this weekend to make sure the cycle is totally complete,and than I'll do a partial water change and arrange my rock like I want it to be. I'll try and get my younger Bother's digacam and take a few shoots than.
Thanks,
Rivrat

snipe

They are very strong I didnt know I had them when I first got it I was scrubbing the corraline algea off to help it spread in my tank and scurbbed that dude with a wire brush and a week later he has actually grown and made his tube longer!

rivrat

Ok it's been 3 days since I added the base rock and my lvls or still showing good, so it should be alright to add a few snails and crabs since I got no ammonia spike by now? :notsure:
Thanks,
rivrat

salty cheese

Originally posted by rivrat
Ok it's been 3 days since I added the base rock and my lvls or still showing good, so it should be alright to add a few snails and crabs since I got no ammonia spike by now? :notsure:
Thanks,
rivrat

Post your nitrite, nitrates, salinity and temp.:)

rivrat

Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 10 ppm
Salinity - 1.024
Temp. - 79
Still need to do a partial water change since cycle is done,this should bring down the nitrate lvl.

salty cheese

Originally posted by rivrat
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 10 ppm
Salinity - 1.024
Temp. - 79
Still need to do a partial water change since cycle is done,this should bring down the nitrate lvl.

Just remember to go slow when adding livestock.

rivrat

Slow is my middle name.
Going to add 3 snails and 5 scarlet hermits friday,then the same in a week.wait 2 weeks and add 2 peppermint shrimp and a scarlet cleaner shrimp.Wait 2 weeks and add 1 bicolor blenny and than 2 percs. in another two weeks, that will be all I put in there till the end of summer than I might try some zoos and maybe a mushroom.
That sound slow enough.
Thanks,
rivrat

snipe

I dont know they may be enough but It might be minimle that is only 2.24 watts per gallon I dont think that would be enough.

rivrat

Thanks all for the info.Guess I'll go do my after cycle water change tonight and than friday get the first part of my cleanup crew.
I was thinking about the duel 65 watt pc but didn't know if that would be to much,I guess I'll get them.When I get a camera I will post some pics. of my progress for you all.
Thanks,
rivrat :happyfish