white worms on glass

a&m aggie 04'

i asked this question before but didnt get much response, so ill reword it. on my glass ive noticed some little white worms that are curled up into a circle, what are they???

T

thomas712

I forget the name but they are a harmless filter feeder, just another type of feather duster.
Thomas

They are actually a sessile snail whose name I forgot. You will start to see large numbers of them...especially on the undersides of caves.

saltyshark

I have them too. "They are not good or bad, they are just there" I stole that one from Sammystingray
(thanks Sammy
) I believe he also mentioned something about them being an indication that there is enough calcium in the system for them to reproduce and form their calcareous tubes. And that there is enough plankton to sustain filter feeders. Do a board search on Spirorbidae. There's a ton of info on them.
HTH
SaltyShark

saltyshark

Here's a pic I stole...I mean borrowed from another post just to make sure that we're on the right page with the spirorbidae worms
note: not to scale ;)

stpabr

Found this on REEF.ORG;
"On the glass of my tank, I can see small, white coils that are about 2mm across and have tiny hairs sticking out. What are these guys?"
This is probably yet another tube-dwelling polychaete from the Family Spirorbidae. It is yet another harmless filter-feeder that is common in reef aquaria. It is common for these worms to inhabit areas of high water flow, including your tank's plumbing. They readily reproduce via sexual means and often spread throughout the tank, and can generally be considered a sign of a healthy maturing tank.
Hopes this helps,
Stephen

dfishh

o i have them too, always thought they were tube worms, they are white litle calcium tubes and sumtimes stick out their feathers to eat rite?
DAVE

saltyshark

Originally posted by A&M Aggie 04'
well i have the calcium in my system for them, doing water changes to get it down.

Get what down...your calcium level? Why what is the calcium level now?

saltyshark

Originally posted by DfishH
o i have them too, always thought they were tube worms, they are white litle calcium tubes and sumtimes stick out their feathers to eat rite?
DAVE

Basicly, yes. Although they are very small and hard to see they do have feathers they stick out to feed.