Who believes fish will only grow as big as the tank they are in?

S

slk3599

I'm going to get flamed for this one, but I'm tired of this "myth" being repeated ad naseum to the point that it has become the gospel. I just read a post that Tangs will only get as big as the habitat you keep them in. This is absolutely not true. A healthy tang given a good environment (water and proper tanks size) will achieve it's full adult size over time. Prove me wrong.

Ya know, I have always wondered what in fish would limit growth to tank size? I also wonder, If I had grown up in a large house instead of apts. all my life would I be taller? If so im a little heated cause I could of been a contender. I bet wilt chamberlain lived in houses all his life. Also, I think if this were the case we would have pigmy puffers and tangs and be able to keep banded sharks in a 55 gal., know what I mean. I have never believed this theory, but hey, could be wrong...if so I am moving into a large house cause 6' 1" just aint cuttin it no more.
[ April 20, 2001: Message edited by: Saltwater Marauder ]

pufferlover

Got to tell you trey I would love to live near you. I just love talking about fish related things and around here that means talking to myself and reading. I realize you have trained for what you do and know but it is amazing what you put out and the way you do it simply. You are a big benefit to our board and I love reading your posts.

S

slk3599

Trey,
You stated the facts perfectly. I can't tell you how many people have stated this fish lie to me as absolute truth. Very seldom do they believe me when I tell them they are operating under a grave misconception. People belive what they want to believe. Too bad so many fish have to suffer the consequences.
Susan

beth

Administrator
Staff member
That was certainly a fascinating post, Trey. But what about this. Most hobbyst have around 75-150 gal tank on the average. Most hobbyst have tangs. Now, if tangs grow to normal size, these tank sizes sited above are really too small, but the tangs that stay smaller in these size tanks, are healthy. For instance, the yellow tang in Steve's tank. Beautiful specimen, but small. Most of the fish we keep would never fit in our tanks if they got to full size. [That's not to say that a tang should be in a 30 gal tank!!]
Devil's advocate here. :D

bluto

Saltwater...
Wilt Chamberlain must have grown up in the Taj Mahal.
Bluto
"fat, drunk, & stupid is no way to go thru life son"
:D

I had a buddy a long time ago that raised a fresh water angel in a 10 gallon tank all by its sef and I swear its body was as big as my hand , gorgeous fish, too bad it wasnt in a 50 gallon it would have probly been a lot happier but would probly had more fish in with it with that size. and as stated above no compatition for water quality, so he got huge with proper care...cya :)

nomar g

There is no way to measure the stress that a fish feels in an aquarium. If indeed growth is inhibited by stress, it is feasible to surmise that all marine fish taken from the ocean and placed in an aquarium will suffer stress to the point that their growth rate will be affected. Perhaps this is why so many saltwater fish fail to reach their maximum size but they do, in my opinion, often stop growing before they get to that point. I have 2 Tangs in my tank and over the last 3 years they have grown, at most, 1 inch each. They are not crowded and all conditions in the tank are excellent. I have also kept many different types of freshwater fish in tanks that the fish should eventually be able to outgrow, only to see them either stop growing or grow so slowly that they did not outgrow the environment. Maybe it varies from species to species but to say that all fish will reach their maximum size if the tank conditions are good and they are properly cared for, regardless of the tank size, does not make sense.

thebatcave

I have heard that myth before, but I never knew anyone who practiced or believed it. Most people know that they can't put an Oscar in a 5 gallon tank and expect it to stay that small. They know that those little Regal Tangs grow up.