who has a mangrove in fuge?

lazarus

how much lighting do you give it? do you bury the roots in your sand/mud? does the top need to emerge above the water line? thanks in advance!

bang guy

I have about a dozen.
The roots do not have to be in anything but they do grow faster when rooted into something.
The more light the better they grow.
They are not a good nutrient export but they are attractive.

am3gross

i have 3 in my overflow box........ so they get some light with the 2 250 watt halides thta i have over the tank..... i have to spray the leaves down with ro water every other day or so....... and not to go against bang guy but i thought they were a good way to get nitrates lower................ i could be wrong tho.

lazarus

bang guy, i can plant my mangrove in the mud of my refugium, but its got a stalk that is about 8 inches tall that will still be about 4 inches below the water surface. will it grow up even if submerged totally?
thanks in advance!

hurt

The tops can not be submerged. And you should clean the tops off every day with RO/DI water to remove the salt if you want them to live.

bang guy

Styrofoam or a clay flowerpot.
If you keep it suspended just above the water so the top of the roots are exposed you can get some excellent root structures.