Who has the biggest tank on a 2nd Floor?

cam78

I would like to put a larger tank on my second floor (have a 46 gallon) but I am not sure how big I could go due to weight. So to get some ideas I am asking you guys.

cam78

Originally Posted by fish1031
180, 65, 55, 29, 10, 3- all on 2nd floor
Whoa!! Is this a commercial building or a home? Must be steel beams or something right?

fish1031

its a home and I have no idea on the beams
the 180 and 65 are in the same room too. hope I don't cave in

fish1031

it shouldn't be unless its in a really not well built building or something...
like i said I have a ton
and think of all the heavy stuff that is on 2nd floors

i-love-pontiac

Originally Posted by fish1031
its a home and I have no idea on the beams
the 180 and 65 are in the same room too. hope I don't cave in
Hahah wow! That's equal to a Toyota Yaris.
Well now you know your house can support a small car.

viper_930

I have my 32 display, 29 sump, and 20 frag tank all in one small bedroom, but that doesn't compare to fish1031's 180.

reefforbrains

I have the 300g system on a floating subfloor if that counts.
Just set up a friends 200 on the second floor.
Against the Joists, not with them and you should have no issues.
JMO

guinness

I ran a 90 gal and a 30 gal on the second floor of a old row home built in 1901. The tanks ran opposite of the floor beams so there was support every foot. No problems what so ever.

cam78

Yeah, I guess if you are running across the beams its not that bad huh? Come on there has to be a carpenter that likes fish on here.

drewdog82

I asked the same question on a previous post and someone posted a great article on calculating exactly how big of a tank you could put. To sum it up for the purposes of your question. As long as you run it across the beams, you could easilly get away with a 125. The article stated that anything larger than that, would be in need of finding out some info. on your house/apt. This isn't to say that you couldn't get away with something larger than a 125, but that if the tank is 125 or under you shouldn't have any problems. I also talked to a contractor who told me that apt. buildings have even higher standards to meet and that he thought I could easilly get away with a 180, without any problems.

briand7878

you would be better off if you put it on an outside wall upstairs. The floor joists will be sitting on the top plate of the exterior wall. Sometimes floor joists cant span the entire upper level and are just toe nailed to a beam that runs across the center. Hopefully if that is the case the builder used huricane straps.

gotta be carefull of outside walls...most baseboards-radiators and duct work runs on them, especiallt if your in a cold winter climate, the heat from your system could drive you nuts heating your water!

driedbrain

I had the same prob in my apt on the 3rd floor. I did some research, and same as Brian said put it on an outside wall, not a *false* wall. If it can support the building it will be able to support anything you can fit on your second floor (most likely unless termites, ect...). Also I got renters insurence for $10 a month, they have never heard of a fish tank falling through the floor, but said they would cover it. It was coverage of somthing outragious that they would cover. So if they are willing to risk that much money they must be pretty confident that it won't fall through. Call and ask your home owners insur or renter insur and ask questions....I had a 90gal on an outside wall 3rd floor. No probs