WHO is eatting my cleaner shrimps?

oceanlover

Someone in my tank has acquired a taste for cleaner shrimps.

I had a lovely one for over a year who ran a nice little cleaning rock for all the fish. Last week the shrimp was suddenly gone! Even the white whiskers were gone.
I tested my water and all parameters were just fine. So I bought two more cleaner shrimps. I temperature and water aclimated them for several hours. The first day they were everywhere and having a good time. The next day one was gone. The following day the other was gone.

I have limited the suspects to either my red hawkfish (who I have had for over 6 months and who used to line-up for his place in line to be cleaned) or the poly-pseudocromis (spelling?) who I have had a bit longer. Dumb me, I bought him thinking he was a blenny or gobby in purple and gold. I saw him and fell in love and bought him on the spot. It was several weeks later when I was researching him that I figured out he is in the dottyback family and considered "mildly aggressive."
My other fish are pretty non-aggressive: Midas Blenny, Yellow tang, Perc clowns, mystery wrasse, diamond gobby, red streaked blenny (a vegetarian), a mandarin, and two geriatric blue chromis.
I'll never know for sure since I didn't witness the murders. But I would appreciate your educated opinion.

morval

ur hawk is a good guess, but my yellow tang has killed 2 cleaner shrimps in my tank. he likes getting cleaned so much he would just pester the shrimps and follow them around and started nipping at them.

member007

There is a good chance it is your mystery wrasse. How big is it? They don't bother shrimp when they are small, but develop a taste when they get older.

jmesmcm

Almost certainly the hawk. Had a red-hawk that was fine with my cleaner for about 9 months than all the sudden he started having expensive meals. Traded him back to the LFS.

stanlalee

I'm waiting to hear the size of the fish in question cause so far everyone I've ever heard but a mystery wrasse large enough to eat shrimp with shrimp ate the shrimp.