Who is the best guitarist that ever lived?

tx reef

Originally Posted by Pontius
Jimmy Page is a great player, but he's also a ripoff artist because pretty much all of his chops and riffs were stolen from blues players.

Yeah right...Page is one of the greatest rock musicians of all time. He was a master composer and wrote almost all of what Zeppelin did (music wise). John Paul Jones wrote some of their music also........
Jimmy Page has studied different styles of music all over the world....
If anyone is overrated it is Hendrix. He did nothing special IMO...
It could be argued that everyone steals riffs and music from someone....there are only so many ways to play D,C,G :hilarious
Hendrix was a rocker, but was limited musically. Page tuned guitars a hundred different ways and learned hundreds of styles of music......
It is all a matter of opinion, of course, and you have yours and I have mine.

steve24

Joe Satriani

Jimmy Page, Carlos, Hendrix (was ok), Stevie Ray, Clapton, Eddie Van Halen, B B King all deserve a

scotts

Originally Posted by lovethesea
Stevie Ray....
just one?????

He had a lot of music left in him....

mr. guitar

Originally Posted by seasalt101
well i have heard of chet atkins who are those other 2?
Tommy Emmanuel is the best living fingerstyle guitar player in the world. He's from Australia and is AMAZING!!! I've seen him live before...and it was kinda hard for me to lift my jaw up off the floor. After that show I got him to sign my TAB book!
www.tommyemmanuel.com
Doyle Dykes is the next best living fingerstyle guitar player. I first saw him when I was in the 6th grade...simply blew my mind away. His son is also a great guitar picker.
www.doyledykes.com

lovethesea

we got to see Stevie right before his untimely death. WOW!!
Just saw Clapton

LOVE BB King, we saw him last summer what a legend
I also enjoy Robert Cray guitar
has anyone heard Derek Trucks play??? :happyfish

pontius

Originally Posted by TX Reef
Yeah right...Page is one of the greatest rock musicians of all time. He was a master composer and wrote almost all of what Zeppelin did (music wise). John Paul Jones wrote some of their music also........
Jimmy Page has studied different styles of music all over the world....
If anyone is overrated it is Hendrix. He did nothing special IMO...
It could be argued that everyone steals riffs and music from someone....there are only so many ways to play D,C,G :hilarious
Hendrix was a rocker, but was limited musically. Page tuned guitars a hundred different ways and learned hundreds of styles of music......
It is all a matter of opinion, of course, and you have yours and I have mine.

Stairway to Heaven was lifted almost note for note from some no name band that once opened for Led Zep. I've heard the song, it was a ripoff for sure. there are also many other Led Zep songs that used riffs from blues players. I said Page was great, but it is a wellknown fact that he ripped people off. I'm not talking about chord progressions, as you seem to be. I'm talking about actual note for note riffs that were copied from other guitarists. there's a difference between being influenced by somebody and actually plagiarizing their work.
Hendrix pretty much singlehandedly invented the way rock musicians now approach the guitar. he was a good two decades ahead of his time. to say that he was in anyway overrated is crazy.

shogun323

Originally Posted by lovethesea
has anyone heard Derek Trucks play??? :happyfish
Derek Trucks is out of control. He play on the Allman Brothers album Hittin the Note (great album by the way) and he is amazing!!! I have a buddy the played out alot and played with Derek at Skippers Smokehouse in Tampa when he was 15. He said he was amazing even then too!!
Has anyone heard of Joe Bonamassa?? He is insane!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxZS4rMdJN0

jovial

Originally Posted by shogun323
Derek Trucks is out of control. He play on the Allman Brothers album Hittin the Note (great album by the way) and he is amazing!!! I have a buddy the played out alot and played with Derek at Skippers Smokehouse in Tampa when he was 15. He said he was amazing even then too!!
This dude is good, does he play more than just blues? Sounds a little like Hendrix did when he was younger.

tangman99

Yeah, he's a local boy here. He used to play slide guitar when he was 10 years old. Played with Lynard Skynard some here locally.

shogun323

Originally Posted by Jovial
This dude is good, does he play more than just blues? Sounds a little like Hendrix did when he was younger.
He mainly plays blues. I 'd say he blows away Hendrix. He was a slop.

tx reef

Oh, wait...I forgot to mention.................
I am the greatest guitarist of all time.....bow down before me and my guitar as the God of all music.
Yes...I am the greatest...a legend in my own mind..... :hilarious

kogle

Trey from Phish...
The whole group is made up of great musicians who sound great playing any style of music.
That makes him great in my mind. Lots of people are good with their own style but the true greats can play any style of music...

shogun323

Originally Posted by KOgle
Trey from Phish...
The whole group is made up of great musicians who sound great playing any style of music.
That makes him great in my mind. Lots of people are good with their own style but the true greats can play any style of music...
Trey is amazing as are the rest of the group!!

Originally Posted by poniegirl

Mr Clapton makes it talk, also.
Yes, indeed he does!!!
Although he wasnt the most technical, Jerry Garcia will always be one of my favorites.

jovial

He mainly plays blues. I 'd say he blows away Hendrix. He was a slop.
These are the kind of players you build a band around. Why isnt he more popular.