Who test's for these elements!!??

bombay_duc

Yep, another poll. Boron? Silicate? Iodide? If you test for these and other elements ON A ROUTINE BASIS do you know something I don't!!??

I routinely test for the BIG 7 - ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, alkalinity, salinity and temperature.
Who test for -
Calcium
Magnesium
Strontium
Boron
Silicate
Oxygen
Iodide
Phosphate
ON A ROUTINE BASIS?

laddy

Originally Posted by Bombay_Duc
Yep, another poll. Boron? Silicate? Iodide? If you test for these and other elements ON A ROUTINE BASIS do you know something I don't!!??

I routinely test for the BIG 7 - ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, alkalinity, salinity and temperature.
Who test for -
Calcium
Magnesium
Strontium
Boron
Silicate
Oxygen
Iodide
Phosphate
ON A ROUTINE BASIS?
Most people on the "Reef Tanks" board test for calcium, and possibly phosphate. And to answer your question "Who tests for......" granted the average hobbyist doesn't, however, anyone with an above interest in saltwater husbandry will, and does, test for these levels. Think Derek Jeter, Roger Clemens, or Barry Bonds, compared to a collegiate baseball player (sorry for the baseball analogy but I went to a game last night).

fishieness

besides for Ca, Mg, and PO4^(2-), most people dont test for any of those because most of the test kits are not accurate. also, IMO, as long as you are doing frequent water changes with a quality salt, you dont have to add them, and you dont need to test for them if you are not adding them.

bombay_duc

Originally Posted by fishieness
IMO, as long as you are doing frequent water changes with a quality salt,

define "quality salt"
all the reading and research i've done so far points to the fact the most of the currenlty available salt mixes are a far cry from "real" sea water.
Name a few quality salt mixes you've liked.

wangotango

Name a few quality salt mixes you've liked.
i and most of the people i know use reef crystals. its one of the better brands out there imo.

fishieness

here are the list of the ones i have used next to them with their faults i have found:
-red sea: what i first started with, it was cheap, so i got it, however, it was before i had a reef so i didnt test for a lot, but i have heard of a lot of complaints about coral growth and Ca.
-IO: low Ca and high ALK. trace element levels arent always good
-oceanic: not bad, but the Ca was just way to high for me. i used it before i had sps and my crocea, so i didnt have too much Ca usage in my tank, and i was getting readings in the 600s with this. and there were pieces of plastic in the jug.... had nothing to do with the quality, but jsut wierd..... Many people mix this with normal IO which is on the other extream, very low in Ca and other trace elements
-coralife: my corals told me taht they didnt like it too much
-tropic marin: by far the best i have used. my corals seem to love it and all levels are right on, i have not used the pro, but apparetnly that just has more Ca and trace elements.
-IO reef crystals, not bad. but i got a bad batch once that has phosphates in it. it took me a while and for it to kill all but a BB size of my green slimer for me to figure it out. my DI water was free of it, my DI water in the bucket was free of it, but low and behold, once i added salt, it has phosphates..... so id never use that again.
But IMO, as long as you are not using normal IO or possibly red sea, you shouldnt need to dose anything. the reef salts, IMO, have enough trace elements

K

kalied20

I test the regular stuff and for Cal, and phosphates but I do regular water changes with water bought at my local LFS. There water is always top quality. :cheer:

fishwanabe

Originally Posted by Isistius
thank god i use real sea water
***)
I also could be doing that as I live in FL., is there any tricks that I should kow?

fishieness

Originally Posted by fishwanabe
I also could be doing that as I live in FL., is there any tricks that I should kow?
well you are going to want to make sure there are no pollutants, i wouldnt unless you got it way way out or in some remote area. plus you never know what yowu ould be putting into your tank.