Who uses a surge/wave device?

broncofish

I currently use a wvemake for my PH's....but I want to build a surge device. I have heard from a few people that it is really hard to controll the air bubbles from it. Anybody have any one, and do you have bubble problems?

overanalyzer

I am interested as well since I just bought all the materials to make a flapper style surge device ..... should have it up and running tonight or tomorrow ..... will let you know

broncofish

Thanks OA, there has got to be somebody else out there besides, myself you and Bang Guy that is or wants to have one of these.

krux

i have a flapper style surge device that works well in my bathtub, but i have been unable to mount it sucessfully above my tank as of yet.

overanalyzer

tangs - tank will be in my basement and I am thinking of putting the surge on a timer so it only "fires" during the waking hours. But other wise I am not too concerened with the noise - I will let you know once I get it going!
Javis - it will be somewaht random becaause of hte nature of the device. It will eventually fall into a somewhat predictable timeline.
Was too busy painting the basement to work on it I will get some shots of hte project tonight!

overanalyzer

basically the same exact thing that guy set up with a few mods on the outflow .... could not find what I wanted for an outflow ....

overanalyzer

OK i got everything lined up so I could take pictures along the way and then I realized it was almost midnight ..... so I will do it all tomorrow and photo documnt it. Probably post a long thread in the DIY section tomorrow night sometime .....
OBTw - dursos are done and dry - will put them in and water test them tomorrow - then it is time to drain the tank on Thursday .....

overanalyzer

OK all - I finally assembled it last night but I have not put the float in or cemented the PVC together. I narrow the outlet so it will be a stream of water surging out. When I did that it significantly cut down on the bubbles. When it was a straight shot out there were way to many bubbles. I will post some pics later of the finished product - if I can squeeze in some time between prepping the basement for hte new tank and cleaning and completng the honey do list ......

overanalyzer

freaky article - built my durso's a little shorter so they could handle the flood of water from the surge (hopefully) - plus I am leaving some extra room @ the top of my sump and refugium!