Who uses RO vs RO/DI water?

tangman99

I'm stuck in deciding if I want to get just a regular RO/DI unit or the combination RO/DI for drinking water with a storage tank and DI for aquarium. The combination with a tank sounds great if RO water by itself is good enough. I could just get 1 gallon from the spout everyday for my makeup water and use the RO/DI for my monthly 10 gallon water changes. No more jugs of water stored all over the garage!
Not being sure if RO water by itself is good enough for a reef tank, I'm taking a poll to see what percentage of people use just RO water and who goes with RO/DI. I know there are other sources like the tap water filter that I've used for 3 years, but these are the only two I'm concerned with at this time.
Thanks for your vote and please provide any good or bad points you may have experienced with either of these systems.

birdy

I have always just used RO/DI water, worked great for me until I let the filters go too long without changing. I am just now getting over the algae problems.

tangman99

I'm definitely getting an RO/DI system, I am just undecided if I want one with the storage tank for drinking water. I was thinking I could just use the RO water for makeup water during the week (doesn't get any easier than that) and make RO/DI water when I do a water change. I'm tired of filling jugs and having them all over my garage so the storage tank would be ideal and we would also have better quality drinking water. The downside of the combination unit is it would make the location of the system inconvenient for making water for a water change.

dreeves

I am awaiting delivery of a 5 stage, DOW Filmtec, 75 gpd, RO/DI. A dual setup, drinking and aquarium.
Both systems go through first 4 stages, sediment, carbon block, another carbon block, RO membrane.
Drinking water goes from RO to an additional inline carbon filter then to storage tank.
Aquarium portion goes from RO to DI then to wherever you need.
Complete setup, everything included.
I really liked the dual use stuff.

stranglehold

Looking into investing in one these myself. ame across a possible alternitive.
What about the "Tap Water Filter" that makes DI water at about 10 gal/hour? It is just $30. Replacement filters are $17
Sounds alot better than $220 for a Hi-S RO/DI system.
What am I giving up? It is better than nothing, right?

robn70

It's roughly $204.00 a year for replacement filters and the quality of the water still isn't close to RO/DI.