Who was it that wanted a Sargassum Trigger?

groupergenius

I have one and need to get rid of him. What a freakin' monster. I'll post a pic or 2 later. I remember someone here saying they wanted one. Believe me, this guy is so tough I could just seal his butt in an envelope and ship him to Budapest and he would make it.

groupergenius

Well whatever it is, it found a new home at one of my guys here at work. He has a 180 gallon with 1 wolf eel that doesn't get along with anything.
I called it a Sargassum Trigger 'cause thats where I got him. 12 miles offshore of Big Pine Key, Fl. in 625' of water. There were about 50 of them hanging around a floating plastic milk crate.
I brought home all my tropicals in the live well separated in tupperware containers. The containers opened up on the way home and this jerk ate my neon gobies, a small Queen Angel, an anemonae shrimp, and 2 coral bandeds.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by GrouperGenius
Well whatever it is, it found a new home at one of my guys here at work. He has a 180 gallon with 1 wolf eel that doesn't get along with anything.
I called it a Sargassum Trigger 'cause thats where I got him. 12 miles offshore of Big Pine Key, Fl. in 625' of water. There were about 50 of them hanging around a floating plastic milk crate.
I brought home all my tropicals in the live well separated in tupperware containers. The containers opened up on the way home and this jerk ate my neon gobies, a small Queen Angel, an anemonae shrimp, and 2 coral bandeds.

That is prime Queen trigger territory and they hang around junk floating in the ocean.(like dolphin fish, is that what you were looking for? Delicious!)). I lived in Islamorada years ago and these were all over.

mikedog

They have that exact fish a my LFS and they call it an Ocean Trigger, no wonder why it has been brought back numerous times, and exchanged. It even bit me one time when I had my hand in the tank to move some live rock.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by mikedog
They have that exact fish a my LFS and they call it an Ocean Trigger, no wonder why it has been brought back numerous times, and exchanged. It even bit me one time when I had my hand in the tank to move some live rock.
I think you're right about it being an Ocean Trigger, Queen Triggers stay around the reefs. I should have checked, rather than relying on memory. Everything from my few years in the Keys is a little fuzzy. I think I did really like it, though!

groupergenius

Originally Posted by AW2x3
I was looking...but that definately is NOT a Sargassum Trigger.
Can you post pictures of the "sargassum trigger" that your looking for? If I find one out there, I'll grab one for ya.

aw2x3

Originally Posted by GrouperGenius
Can you post pictures of the "sargassum trigger" that your looking for? If I find one out there, I'll grab one for ya.

I am looking for Xanthicthys ringens. Another common name is Red Tailed Trigger.
Thank you for looking out, but I don't purchase fish, from stores/online/etc without being able to see them in person first.

johnbob

We have one at the LFS I work at. Its only the second one I've seen come through our store in the last 8 months. I was lucky enough to get the first.

groupergenius

Originally Posted by AW2x3
I am looking for Xanthicthys ringens. Another common name is Red Tailed Trigger.
Thank you for looking out, but I don't purchase fish, from stores/online/etc without being able to see them in person first.
I wasn't "selling" it. It was free.
Edit: I have seen the ones you listed, only problem is they were about 12-15" long.