Whoa! That SUCKED!

justinx

Well . . . I havent been around much latley because I was in the process of moving and dont have the internet hooked up yet at the new place. But I can still get on here at work.
Anyway . . . as I am sure you can imagine, I had to move my tank. Boy I tell you . . . never want to do that again! So let me tell all of you just how things went for me.
I started out by setting up a new tank in the new apt. with fresh sand in the bottom and let it settle out in a couple inches of RO water. Drained off the excess and let it sit. So the new tank is now ready and waiting to be filled at the new place. So I go over to the old place to try and get as much sand as I can to seed the new stuff. Now the tank has to be completely out by sunday, and at this point it is about 11:00 on friday night. No big deal right?
So I get to the old place where the tank is and I start to move some stuff out of the way to get to the sand. I wanted to seed the DSB in the new tank ahead of time so that it woould settle and I could then see where I was placing things. So I am moving stuff and I have the canopy off and I am using the tank as a rest for my arm. No pressure, but it is just resting there. Then, my shoe is wet . . . what the #@$%! The seam split and water was pouring out . . . . near the bottom of the tank!
ALL RIGHT EVERYBODY OUT! ITS TIME TO GO!!!! Fourtunately I have buckets and bags there waiting for the next day, but all is going right now. I bagged all the corals, the fish, and caught as much water as I could in the buckets, stuck the LR in the buckets, set the fish and coral bags into boxes and loaded up in the car. It is now 12:30.
I get to the new place, dump the LS into the tank, spread it out and arrange my rockwork. I then start pouring in the water back into the tank. I cant see anything because as you can imagine, the tank clouded over because of the sand but there was nothing I could do. So I just put all the corals back into the tank on the bottom and far enough apart that they wouldnt sting eachother. The fish get dumped back in along with my serpent star, all of which were not to be seen again for a couple days because of all the silt.
But the water temp is down to 75! Not that bad, but I usually keep it around 80. The heater and the PH's are back at the old place. But no real big hurry because all the livestock is back at the new tank. So I go get the heater and PH's and I am on my way back. Now keep in mind that I live in a suburb of Detroit. There are no woods or forrests or anything within miles of my house. I live near a huge mall and shopping area. So I am driving down Novi Rd. near 9 mile (for those of you from this area) when all of a sudden BAM!!! I just hit a freaking DEER! Oh my . . . . what just happened I am thinking. Then the deer gets up and runs off into someones yard. Thanks goodness I didnt have my livestock with me on that trip or it would have been all over the car!
All in all it really wasnt that bad, but I dont want to have to do it again. But almost everything survived. There was no ammonia spike as of 48 hrs later. i will check when I get home. The only casualty was a single zoanthid polyp which got buried in the old sand in the old tank and I forgot about it:( I saw it the next day and it was hard as a rock. Otherwise, everything made the transition well, and to be totally honest, I like my rock set up MUCH MUCH more than it was before. It is a more efficient set up with coral placement etc. There are more caves for the fish, I just hope that there is enought flow underneath them.
Just thought I would share.
Justin

nm reef

...reminds me of a old saying...."the best laid plans of mice and men often times go awry"...or something like that!!!
I hope everything works out for you in the new place...:cool:
Click the image for access to my website...
nmreef@cox.net

ross

Wow!:eek: Thats pretty bad. Things could have been alot worse though. At least you didn't lose any fish.

scotts

Don't you just love it when a plan goes wrong. :D Suddenly it is "go to plan B" Then you realize you don't have a plan B.
Anytime this happens to me I always think. Well at least it will give me a good story to tell.
Glad things worked out for you. How much damage was done to your car? Our neighbors car was hit by a deer and caused alot of damage.
Scott

nicky1.8t

moving tanks sux i bought my reef and moved the whole thing including every drop of water and every last grain of sand talk about an experence, sounds you had an experence of your own

justinx

Scotts,
Suprisingly not much . . . . . I had slammed on the breaks pretty hard and had slowed a lot before the impact, plus my whole front end is plastic. I am going to need a new hood, but thats about it.
Justin

j21kickster

thanks for sharing- i know what moving a tank is like- my 20 has corals that are connecting the rocks- i would need to take a saw to these rocks to seperate them

justinx

The best advice that I can give for moving a tank is to keep as much of the water as you can, and use buckets. Lots of buckets to help you move things.
At least the moving experience was an event that I learned from. I am going to have to move again in a year, but instead of going 2 miles, I will probably be going 2,000. (Graduate School)
Justin

D

daniel411

Hey Justin,
I'm glad you weren't hurt when you hit that dear! Wow, never would have thougt hitting a dear would be a possibility in this area, 9 mile/meadowbrook. I guess there is a park down 9 mile though... who knows.

justinx

Originally posted by Daniel411
Hey Justin,
I'm glad you weren't hurt when you hit that dear! Wow, never would have thougt hitting a dear would be a possibility in this area, 9 mile/meadowbrook. I guess there is a park down 9 mile though... who knows.

I totally forgot about that park! The rotary park . . . well now it makes a little more sense!
Justin