whole new meaning to the word diatoms!

flamingkingofhe

I didn't read the article so i don't know what it said. Studies have proven that diatoms build there cell walls out of something called silicon and with out this substance they can not live so there is obviously silicon in your water some where so you might want to try to run some silicon or what i have used in the past is called silicate remover might be the same thing not to sure on that one and another thing that may help is whenever i have had diatom problems the diatoms have always caused the water to become blurry so if this is happening to you i recommend that you try some mixed bed reisen this stuff is great for helping water clarity and also helped me to rid the diatoms

wrassecal

I'm running Kents phosphate/silicate remover right now. I don't think I know what "mixed bed resin" is.
There are great articles that address silicate and phosphate in the tank and their relationship to diatoms. I'm not saying this is what is happening this time, because I've made lots of changes lately. I'm wondering why and how you can have a tank chugging along nicely, you upgrade your lights and get a diatom bloom? How could lighting affect silictes or phosphates?

broomer5

Changes in lighting are exciting .. .. to us and all the photosynthetic lifeforms in the tank.
Even if the nutrients ( nitrates, phosphates and other organic compounds ) stay the same ..... once you change the lighting by either increasing or decreasing ..... the balance can change.
More or less lighting in intensity and duration will affect the microscopic diatoms and microalgaes.
Gas exchanges could possibly change as well .. although I don't know for sure.
That's about all I can think of regarding a change in lighting.
When we have make changes - stuff can happen.
New 135 gallon tank.
New saltwater.
Old saltwater.
New sand.
Exisiting sand from 55.
Existing live rock from 55.
New live rock too.
Change in lighting both intensity and possibly duration.
That's a lot of changes ;)
Sort of like a new tank with some existing stuff from the 55.
Disrupting the 55's sandbed .. and adding it to the 135 may be contributing to the diatom outbreak as well.
I've never done that before - so I'm just making a comment.
Oh yeah .. a mixed resin bed is how most DI units work.
Two different resins in the system.
One resin attracts positively charged ions.
One resin attracts negatively charged ions.
As an example:
If you ran some table salt saltwater Na+Cl- and H2O through a mixed deionized bed, the Na+ cation would be attracted and held by one resin.
The Cl- anion would be attraced and held by the other resin.
The H2O would pass though the resins and be considered deionized.
Eventually - both resins become exhausted and can no longer attract the + or - ions. The resin is spent.
It must either be tossed out - or recharged.

R

rogeta

Originally posted by broomer5
As an example:
If you ran some table salt saltwater Na+Cl- and H2O through a mixed deionized bed, the Na+ cation would be attracted and held by one resin.
The Cl- anion would be attraced and held by the other resin.
The H2O would pass though the resins and be considered deionized.

Broomer knows his Chemistry....Thats one reason I love this board...We have such smart sharks! Hey that kinda rhymes...Anyway I too went through Diatoms...still have some...CCerinths ate it for me...and it looked like emarld crab was eating it but I am unsure of that...Good Luck! Tank looks beautiful!

wrassecal

RoGeTa - you got that right! I really do think Broomer5 is right and in many ways it's like a new tank...like all the ways he mentions. :) I like the reference to everyone from us to the organisms getting excited about the new lighting.
skeetw - I think it's what's known as the sponge, the little white balls and I put them in a media sack in the filters. I already thre the jar away.The diatoms were not quite as bad the day before I added it. Got worse, now getting better. Beth was right, it was so bad it almost looked like cyano, but was very dusty.Could be the natural cycle for what's going on in my tank. Don't know for sure.
A lot of this thread is because I find it quite interesting to learn what is causing the diatoms in the first place. And there has been a lot of info out on them lately.
Another thing I have learned is that going to a tank that is more than double the original makes for more changes than I expected. Lessons for when we upgrade to a 300 I guess
:cool: