Who's a mechanic?

Alright, so this is really off topic but this is an OT forum..
My car (95 Mit. Galant) stalled out on me today and didn't start back up. I was in the middle of driving when all the electrical components started dimming and flickering. Then the car started running erratically. I had a really hard time making it away from red lights. Everytime I'd stop, the car would barely get going again. I'd just made the turn into the driveway when the car stalled and refused to start again. I could hear it trying to "turn" and the panel lights would come on faintly when I turned the key but it wouldn't start.
Would you say it's the alternator or the battery? I think it's just the battery because I HAVE left the lights on (sometimes overnight) several times, including a few hours yesterday. So I figured the battery is just dead.
I've read that if the car experiences low voltage while running, then it's more than likely the alternator... so, is it possible to have the car drop in voltage and stall (then die) because of a dead battery only? Or is it definitely the alternator?
I'm going tomorrow to pick up another battery but I wanted to see if someone can give me good news and tell me that's all it is. Another alternator for this car would be 300 bucks that I don't have right now.

lfd-143

I don't think it's the battery. It may be the alt is not putting out a constant voltage to keep the car running smoothly. Or it could be the computer that is cause problem. If you have a voltmeter and can get the car running, put the lead of the voltmeter on the red wire that is coming out of the back of the alt and the other lead to ground. Then see if the voltage drops or stays around 14 volts, if it drops then it is your alt, if not then you have another problem. HTH

fshhub

Originally posted by waterfaller1
I thought you could just unhook the battery?If it's the alternator..it should quit running:notsure:

a lot of cars you cant do this anymore, believe it or not.
I recently had a similar problem and would have sworn it was the alternator. It turned out to be the battery.
One thin that I can tell you is that you can go to a lot of places that sell batteries adn they will test ot for nothing. Just ask what they charge to test a battery and if they say nothing, have them test it for you. Then you should know which one it is. Because it can have a dead cell and still hold a charge but not enough to do anything under a load. Try, Aand A or Advance Auto Parts store or something like that. I think even walmart now tests batteries at many locations. If it si not the battery, many auto parts stores can test your alternator too, before you spend the money. GUT be warned, they probably will not offer this service to you without your asking for it.

Originally posted by fshhub
a lot of cars you cant do this anymore, believe it or not.
I recently had a similar problem and would have sworn it was the alternator. It turned out to be the battery.

I failed to mentioned the same thing happened to me almost 3 years ago now, with the same car... and back then, I put a new battery in and it's lasted 'till just now with no problems.. the alternator on the car is the original, so go figure... I'll get the battery first and get the alternator tested after that..
I really think for some reason that with this car, if the battery is low, the car CAN
die while running....
I'll report back when I find out.

Originally posted by LFD-143
I don't think it's the battery. It may be the alt is not putting out a constant voltage to keep the car running smoothly. Or it could be the computer that is cause problem. If you have a voltmeter and can get the car running, put the lead of the voltmeter on the red wire that is coming out of the back of the alt and the other lead to ground. Then see if the voltage drops or stays around 14 volts, if it drops then it is your alt, if not then you have another problem. HTH

thanks for the tip... I can't get the car to start now though.. I'll see if the shop can test it for me when I put the new battery in.

z0640502

will it turn over now??? if not i wolud check the ground wire on the alternator. and dont go to autozone or pep boys ect... to test ur alternator or battery all they use is a toster.

jscarb2

if you have ran the battery dead a number of times and not completely recharged it,just jump started the car it will burn the alt. up trying to recharge the battery.so it may be the battery and the alt.

saltysyd

:thinking: although I'm a girl my dad is a mechanic so I picked up a lil something over the years....it could actually be either, if you run your battery dead alot it could cause a bad cell in it which will do this also, i'd check both. a new battery is cheaper if that's all it needs. One of my cars did the exact same thing in the past and it was a bad battery. good luck

mouse03245

I have a much older car and the same thing happened to me.bought new battery and found out that wasnt it.now mind you i have an 83 volks rabbitt. come to find out i needed a new fuel pump.it was so bad no gas would get to the engine...thus i had lights and all,but we eventually ran the battery out trying to figure all this out. Im not saying thats whats wrong with yours but before you buy anything ,get a tester to test the fuel pump.

beaslbob

I had a 1976 starfire that was going through alternaters until they found a ground burnt wire from the chasis to the battery. then everything ok. Seems it blew the internal regulator.
Your specific problem could (by now) be both. the battery and alternator will probably have to be fixed or replaced. On GM cars (don't know what your galant is) alternator kits were available for about $10.00 or like $25.00 or so for a rebuilt. If the battery is shorted it can blow the diodes in the alternator. Test both and see what needs replacing. Or just replace both to be safe.

fshhub

Originally posted by aarone
Bob,
Would plant life fix the alternator problem?

LOL
just add some calupera to the alternator and throw a couple of mollies in the gas tank and it will be all better by morning.:hilarious :hilarious

Originally posted by fshhub
LOL
just add some calupera to the alternator and throw a couple of mollies in the gas tank and it will be all better by morning.:hilarious :hilarious

Sorry fshhub... tried all that already and none of it worked.
:D

fshhub

of course it worked!!!!
you must have done something wrong. Double check your water parameters and if need be, cut back on feeding.