Whos got a Shallow Reef?

bill109

anybody on here have a shallow reef? i can score a major deal here for 350. its a 100 gal(no stand) 6 foot shallow tank with brand new 175 W Mh's (2) tank is brand new along with the lights. they take photos of inverts and corals for sw aquarium books and never got to set it up. so it sat and now its on CL. i want to jump on it so bad but im afraid i might miss the height of my tank and it might get old always looking down at the tank unless i have a relly tall stand made which would be awesome but a little out of the budget to build a custom stand..
whos got some pics and some insight on this?

nissan577

This is not mine but im sure it can help! i take no credit
Kyle's Shallow Reef
Main Tank: 75 Gallons 48″ x 24″ x 12″ Starphire Glass
Protein Skimmer: ASM G2
Lighting: 2 x 150W HQI Heliod
Circulation: Closed loop with a Poseidon PS4
Return Pump: Poseidon PS3
Sump: 35 gallons
Chiller: JBJ Artica 1/3hp

stanlalee

how wide is it? a 6ft hundred gallon isn't extremely shallow unless its 24" ish front to back. I had a 6ft hundred gallon and it was 72"x18"x19" it had 175wx2 as well.

reeflooker

The MHs alone would be a good deal at that price. I'm looking for a set up similar to that. However, 12" height with no overflow is a little low for me. Also, I like the MH pendants, but I have not figuared out a good way to provide actinic light with penants.
My advice, buy it, keep the MH and sell the tank on e-bay.
Good luck!

bill109

the dimensions are..
72 long 18 deep and 19 high
there is no stand though..so im afaid if i buy it i will never get around to getting a stand! the bulbs are only 6500K. so those would need some update too.. =(
im not fully sold on this yet. if anybody near ct want it lmk haha

stanlalee

get to building! all I had was a cheap electric jigsaw, long ruler, leveler, electric screwdriver and a dremel. had never built a stand before and used online DIY for references. a few hours a evening I had it done is 3 or 4 days. If not any standard 125g, 135g or 150g stand will work (they all have the same 72"x18" footprint).

jaxfishgirl

Originally Posted by Stanlalee
http:///forum/post/3190856
get to building! all I had was a cheap electric jigsaw, long ruler, leveler, electric screwdriver and a dremel. had never built a stand before and used online DIY for references. a few hours a evening I had it done is 3 or 4 days. If not any standard 125g, 135g or 150g stand will work (they all have the same 72"x18" footprint).

looks good