Who's into wine?

9supratt4

I'm pretty sure there are a few people on here that are into wine.
I'm looking to store some bottles long term, but I don't have a wine cellar. Do these wine coolers work?

9supratt4

I've been doing a bunch of research on how to store wine long term and I've found that wine should be kept at 54-degrees and at least 70% humidity. Do these coolers keep the humidity level up?

dragonzim

I've read that most wine coolerrefrigerators are really only good for storing wine for about a year.
The more expensive models do have humidity control built into them. I'm guessing you can do it on the cheap though by getting a hygrometer or better yet a small electronic humidification system made for cigar humidors.
Something like this..
http://www.amazon.com/Cigar-Oasis-XL.../dp/B000W8UYO2

fishtaco

I'm cheap and have need for long term storage also, I have been thinking a cooler(s) in a closet might not be too bad of a solution. The wine coolers I have looked at all have glass doors which let light in which is also an issue and also with the cost of electricity a couple of years of electrical bills could make it a very expensive bottle of wine.
Fishtaco

the maggot

Is humidity an issue? Alot of wines are coming with caps or plastic plugs not corks because of the fungus that grows in the cork.
I never have a storage issue with wine. I buy it then I drink it!

dragonzim

Some experts are against the use of plastic corks because you actually do want a little bit of gas exchange in the maturing of wine. I've been using synthetics when bottling the mead (honey wine) that I brew for the past 15 years and never had a problem with them. Its not plastic like some, but an amalgamation of cork bits and some type of glue agent.

9supratt4

So what do I need to do to make sure my 03 Silver Oaks, Napa, Cab continues to age nicely over the years?

dragonzim

Originally Posted by 9supratt4
http:///forum/post/3256476
So what do I need to do to make sure my 03 Silver Oaks, Napa, Cab continues to age nicely over the years?
If its got a natural cork I'd either get a wine chiller with built in humidity control or a less expensive unit and add a humidifier to it.

9supratt4

I'm looking for coolers with humidity control...haven't had any luck yet. I was also just told by someone that no humidifier I add to the cooler will be able to keep up the humidity.

fishtaco

Originally Posted by 9supratt4
http:///forum/post/3256518
I'm looking for coolers with humidity control...haven't had any luck yet. I was also just told by someone that no humidifier I add to the cooler will be able to keep up the humidity.
How long are you going to store it? I have had some red that was stored on it's side in a cabinet and forgotten by the original buyer for 15 years and it was still excellent.
Fishtaco

mrdc

I'm into it! I drink it! Is that what you meant?

Actually my dad makes muscadine wine so I will ask him how he stores his.

spanko

I make about 150 gallons of wine a year. Do you have a basement? If so a rack down there will keep wine pretty well. Don't get real hung up on the temperature and humidity as long as it is in a cooler atmosphere and stored on it's side so the cork doesn't dry out it will be okay.

9supratt4

Yeah...my basement is quite warm even though its below grade. I think I'm going to get a cooler. I found a 24 bottle one for under $200!! I'll add a hygrometer to watch the humidy level. Hopefully that will allow me to store the bottles for 5-10 years.

mrdc

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3256673
I make about 150 gallons of wine a year. Do you have a basement? If so a rack down there will keep wine pretty well. Don't get real hung up on the temperature and humidity as long as it is in a cooler atmosphere and stored on it's side so the cork doesn't dry out it will be okay.
That is where my dad keeps his and bet he just keeps it in a rack down there.