Who's running a successful reef with no sump?

reefforbrains

I run no sump, no fuge, no actinics, no reactor , simple as could be set up on my 65
Just-Tank, skimmer(sea clone100) and a few MJs down in the rockwork.
Everyone knows my tank so I wont bother posting a pic.
I normally run all the above but in this tank its a

[hr]
system and it does very well. Almost to the point of pissing me off so well

T

tiberius

I had my 110 for 21 years with out a sump.. I did have a UV light but it leaked about 10 years ago so out it went and never replaced it. I run a Sander Protein skimmer, Magnum canister filter and 4 power heads. Simple.

gregghia

OK so my sumpless 90gal is now running. I have an Aquaclear 500 and a Marineland 280 HOT filters along with an AquaC Remora skimmer. I have three Maxi-jet 900 powerheads around the tank.
I hear the term turnover. Does that refer to the HOT filters and the GPH they run or is that refer to the PH? Is what I have going to be sufficient?

bonebrake

Powerheads, HOT filters, and even the skimmer count toward the total GPH turnover. You want at least 10 times the total volume in GPH for turnover and if you plan on going for an SPS dominated tank shoot for 30 times the total volume.
For a 90 gallon tank you want between 900-2700 gallons per hour total turnover.
:joy:

gregghia

Originally Posted by Bonebrake
Powerheads, HOT filters, and even the skimmer count toward the total GPH turnover. You want at least 10 times the total volume in GPH for turnover and if you plan on going for an SPS dominated tank shoot for 30 times the total volume.
For a 90 gallon tank you want between 900-2700 gallons per hour total turnover.
:joy:

Thanks Bonebreak. So I just looked and I have this exactly;
Maxi-jet 1200
Maxi-jet 1200 on my skimmer
Maxi-jet 900
Maxi-jet 600
Marineland 280 GPH filter
Aquaclear 500 GPH filter
Excluding the skimmer PH. I am looking at approx 3500? Divided by tank size of 90?
Is this accurate

bonebrake

No, here you go:
Maxijet 600 = 160 gallons per hour
Maxijet 900 = 230 gallons per hour
Maxijet 1200 = 295 gallons per hour
Marineland 280 = 280 gallons per hour
Aquaclear 500 = 500 gallons per hour
160 + 230 + 2 x 295 + 280 + 500 = 1760 gallons per hour turnover
1760 / 90 = 19.55 total volume turnover per hour =

T

tiberius

Originally Posted by Bonebrake
No, here you go:
Maxijet 600 = 160 gallons per hour
Maxijet 900 = 230 gallons per hour
Maxijet 1200 = 295 gallons per hour
Marineland 280 = 280 gallons per hour
Aquaclear 500 = 500 gallons per hour
160 + 230 + 2 x 295 + 280 + 500 = 1760 gallons per hour turnover
1760 / 90 = 19.55 total volume turnover per hour =

What should the total volume turnover per hour be?

T

tiberius

My 110 has a turnover of 9.55. It has been like this for years.
What is the advantage of having a higher turnover?

reefstar22

I dont run a sump at all :hilarious
But seriously, I not only run a sump, but a ecosystem as well.
You dont need them persay, but we also don't need socks when we were shoes either, however it does make things a tad bit more comfortable and clean! :)

I have been "playing" with my tank for a while now. I did a thread on it one time...."I don't need no filter!". I have cut out all the sump work and everything on my tank. I now run 2 protien skimmers I biult myself and a refugium. I have a closed loop for water flow and I love it all. I haven't changed my water in 3 months and EVERYONE of my corals are opening more full than they where before!!!! Some say the ocean doesn't have one and it's true, that is what I based my system off of; as well as the thread I did. You can say there is no protien skimmer but by far there is when you look at what perpose the waves have as the crash. Plants in the ocean naturally clean the system up from toxic waste! Ol ya and the point!!!! NO YOU DON'T NEED A SUMP OR FOR THAT MATTER A FILTER FULL OF PADS!!! For a new person or tank I would say it is good but after the sand and rock take hold with age they will become your filtering!

reefstar22

I don't have any "filters" on my tank, I go completely natural with the exception of 1 small skimmer designed for a 75gallon tank (I have over 300gallons total) - It barely grabs anything! :) - Mind you I also have 125lbs of sand in my refugium and a thin layer of sand in my display. - My sump is actully more for plumbing purposes so I CAN have such a large pump - it's a 1/2hp pump - MONSTERUS power! :)
You dont need pad's/mechanical filters if you know what your doing. - To be frank I think mechanical filtraion if left by itself is rather dangerous.
Only thing I really run that is out of the normal is every 3 months I run half a pound of carbon in a bag for a couple weeks. - Just to make sure the tank stays crystal clear - IT WORKS LIKE A CHARM! :)
Also on my nano tanks, i've never even run a skimmer. - just a back back. - mind you I kept maybe A fish or two, but other than that it was just coral, and they dont have a MASSIVE bioload.

gregghia

Originally Posted by just fishings
I have been "playing" with my tank for a while now. I did a thread on it one time...."I don't need no filter!". I have cut out all the sump work and everything on my tank. I now run 2 protien skimmers I biult myself and a refugium. I have a closed loop for water flow and I love it all. I haven't changed my water in 3 months and EVERYONE of my corals are opening more full than they where before!!!! Some say the ocean doesn't have one and it's true, that is what I based my system off of; as well as the thread I did. You can say there is no protien skimmer but by far there is when you look at what perpose the waves have as the crash. Plants in the ocean naturally clean the system up from toxic waste! Ol ya and the point!!!! NO YOU DON'T NEED A SUMP OR FOR THAT MATTER A FILTER FULL OF PADS!!! For a new person or tank I would say it is good but after the sand and rock take hold with age they will become your filtering!

Just fishings you have any pics of your setup... love to check it out.