whose the bad guy???

terrence

Last week I added a 3" Lobster and a med. CBS and 3 urchins. Water test have been fine. 2 days later....the Lobster (who I was watching for possible agreesivness) was in pieces all over the bottom of the tank. He had taken over the cave/hole of my 10" snowflake. I think the snowflake did him in. This morning...my Flame Hawk is dead....I can't tell much since an Emerald and a couple of Hermits were having him for breakfast. There were no signs last night.....and I don't see any spots or anything on the rest of my fish.
pH=8.0, Alk=normal, salt=.022, Amonia=0.25,n'rite=0.2, n'rates=5.0(chart says those two readings indicate a 'true' reading of 3??). Any ideas of "what's up?". I also just did a 15% water change. Thanks for your comments!!! terry

hurricanedrift

Hello,
I have helped a friend who is a commercial lobster fisherman pull his traps many times. This in in south Florida by the way not main lobsters. I can't tell you how many times we have pulled up traps with a fat and happy moray in them and strangely no lobsters or only lobster remains. I've seen it diving as well, there is very little a moray likes better than lobsters. Sometimes we would pull a trap and some of the wood slats on the side would be broken out and of coarse no lobsters in it. This was done by seaturtles, usually loggerheads. Hope that helps.

terrence

Thanks Miami....this is coast to coast dialog!!!!
May surprise was I thought the lobster might cause the problems...I sat in front of my tank for hours (killer naps!!) and when the lobster took over the eels main spot...I noticed the eel to act somewhat disturbed. But the next morning...Wow!!! a claw here....a claw there.....and the crabs loving that lobster tail!!!!! I just don't know why my Flame Hawk bit the dust!!!

well I have a friend who has been into SW aquariums for a long time and he has a snowflake and used to have a big wrasse and a hawkfish. I know from my LFS that they have poor eyesight. Well, anyway the eel never was aggressive, but when it was fed it would smell the food and go after it. Unfortunately, the fish were caught in the way and the eel kept biting at them, thinking it was the food and so they died. I do not know whether your eel was aggrasive or not. But I hope this helps.

terrence

Thanks for the reply S.C......I hope it was just a single isolated case. Turning on the lights in the morning and seeing a dead fish on the bottom makes go think you have a disease and your whole tank is going to crash!!!

lesa

Your test readings are abnormal. The amonia is to HIGH.
How big of a water change did you do?