Why all my angels die?

cgr

120 gallon tank.
Blue tang, yellow tang, sailfin tang, clown, two sleeper gobies, five green chromis, crab and snail.
I have introduced a French angel, lasted one week. Two Flame angels dead within two weeks and recently a blue angel, which was doing very well until this morning when I found it dead.
The tank has been set up for two years and all my other fish are doing very well. :(
Should I just forget angels?

ophiura

I BEG YOU TO PLEASE NOT ADD ANY OTHER FISH TO THIS TANK!!!
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!
There are some major issues to be solved here.
The 2 flames probably beat each other to death...they are not compatible.
The others are extremely delicate. Your tank is overstocked.
What are you water parameters...ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH? Specific gravity? What sort of filtration do you have? Lets start here and figure things out. But please do not add more fish!!

ryebread

:eek: :( :eek: :(
Water Parameters = UH OH!
Welcome to the board CGR. I hope that we can help with some of your problems.........sounds like you might need it. Keep us updated and good luck.

cgr

Originally posted by ophiura
I BEG YOU TO PLEASE NOT ADD ANY OTHER FISH TO THIS TANK!!!
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!
There are some major issues to be solved here.
The 2 flames probably beat each other to death...they are not compatible.
The others are extremely delicate. Your tank is overstocked.
What are you water parameters...ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH? Specific gravity? What sort of filtration do you have? Lets start here and figure things out. But please do not add more fish!!

I did not have the Flame angels together/ All the parameters are fine. Amonia and Nitrite are fine.PH 8.2 and Specif gravity 1.023. Most of the fish I have in this tank have been there for over a year. I have never had more than one angel in the tank at a time but the longest each has lived has been 3 weeks.

tigerlover

Thats just lost money, maybe you should drop the angels seeing as your tank is overstocked and the angels have the worst survival rate

polarpooch

Before we all jump CGR for the overstocking thing, let's see if something else is up in the tank! He needs more help than to have someone say "you're overstocked, tough luck".
And a lot of large angels are pretty darn hardy, certainly they should last longer than this, even IF the tank is overstocked. Something else is happening.
First, how big are your other fish? Are your tangs fairly aggressive (my yellow is a holy terror)? Your tangs could be beating up your angels, especially if you are introducing small ones. What kind of clown do you have and what size is it?
When I put my adult Majestic in my tank (which according to everyone on this board is overstocked, too), my yellow and sohol beat the crap out of it. I removed the yellow and sohol to my Q tank, rearranged my rocks and let the angel establish dominance in the tank for 2 or so weeks. Then I re-added my tangs (sohol went back LAST) and have had no problems, since the ANGEL was the dominant fish in the tank. She is spectacular and thriving now.
Barring any disease/parasite issues, that could be your problem.
I'd lose the green chromis in that tank...I fed mine to my eels (yup, I sure did) when I got done cycling my tank with them.
Unless you love them, they're just taking up tank space.

ophiura

I agree, the chromis are taking up tank space. So are the three tangs, which may not be too happy with yet another large fish in there.
Were there any signs of white spots?
Any frayed fins?
What are the nitrate readings in the tank?
How much LR?
If the water readings are fine, and there are no other obvious signs of disease, what are the other options? Trouble shooting here!!
FWIW, I still beg you not to add any fish until this is sorted out. Many people do ask this question, go out the next day, and buy another fish. So my initial answer still stands. And my opinion overall is yes, give up on angels, unless there is a bigger tank in the immediate works. :) Good reason to get one at least!

saltfisher

Angels SUCK! Every one I've ever had has died. I will never buy another one. Go aggressive and things will live.

blueface

I disagree angels are awesome!!! You really have to be careful where you buy your fish. My local store will quarintine their angels at least 1 month and some times more. They refuse to sell them unless they are eating not only frozen food, but flakes as well. I waited 4 months for my blueface while it was in quarintine but it was well worth it because I've had him for years.