Why am I making this so hard...

gregghia

No matter how much I read I cannot grasp ALK, pH, Kh and Cal...
Here is what I have done and what I think I know. Someone please don't just school me but tell me what to do.
1. Apperantly ALK and kH
are the same thing? If they are the tests that are out there have different standards of measurement? Most thing I am reading say meq/L and that "good" ALK is at 6. I got a Red Sea test kit and the scale is 0-3.6 or something like that.
2. pH
of course everyone knows but from what I gather 8.3 is target and this controls buffering ability?
3. Calcium and Magnesium
seem to be most important elements of corals? Target seems to be 400 minimum for Ca and this is inverse to ALK?
Is this true and if not someone school me. What are the ACTUAL standards? Anyone that truly knows rather than opinion...
*** So my issue is my tank was doing "ok", never has any problems but not "popping". Everyone that sees it complements it and no health issues but I wanted to focus on coral growth. I started reading about drips and home DIY for calc and alk like using Prestone Heat and Ms. Wages. However as much time as I devote to this I just can't keep a regimen of these things. However I tried both... Prestone for a week and calcium was high but my stupid self wasn't watching other things. Then I went to the Ms Wages but the drip I have is ghetto and I am just inconsistant with the dosing.
Also I don't know what I did but now my corals are actually looking worse after two weeks of Lime water. My buddy just came over and said everything looks faded or washed out. Now I just wish I hadn't messed with anything.
My parameters:
Temp 82
Lighting is 48" Orbit with 2x150W 14K and 4 actinic fixture
Crazy water movement
pH 8.0-8.1 or so.
Calcium always around 400-420
RED SEA ALK comes out around 1.6
Reef tank with all soft coral and fish with sump.
I put a gorgeous piece of monti coral in there just 5 days ago and it went from rich red to the ends are getting white and the middle is dull!
HELP!

lion_crazz

Hi
, let me help you!
There are 3 different ways to read/measure alkalinity, hardness, kH. You can read it in meq/l, degrees of kH, and ppm. The ideal levels are kH - 8-12 dkH, 143-214 ppm, 2.86 - 4.29 meq/l.
As far as pH goes, people put way too much emphasis on 8.2, 8.3. Your pH does NOT have to be exact. I have seen highly successful tanks run at 8.0 all the way through 8.4.
Calcium and magnesium are very important for corals, yes. Calcium is ideal around 400-420, while you want to shoot for a mag of 1280-1300. Magnesium is the level that helps keep your calcium and alkalinity stable. If you are having problems keeping calcium and kH up, it usually is a sign of a poor magnesium.
As far as your parameters go, your tank is definitely a bit warm (my tank runs yearly at 76) and your alkalinity is a bit low. On the positive side, your SG is great, your pH is fine, and the fact that you have a lot of water movement is fantastic!
You are not getting the "pop" of color from your coral due to your lights, I suspect. I have seen the same thing from many people. They use the stock bulbs in their fixture and wonder why the corals' color just looks "okay". Play with the bulbs. In my fixture, I replaced the stock halide with a Ushio 20k and the color in my tank is AWESOME. I purchase dull stuff at the LFS and show them pictures of it a few weeks later and they are amazed it is the same coral. Color, I find, also has a lot to do with supplementation. Amino acids greatly contribute to coral color. I dose amino acids once a week (Prodibio's Reef Booster amino and vitamin supplement) and I have noticed a great difference in my color, for sure.
Please post any questions you might have. I would be more than glad to help you. You can also email me (RSmith1003@gmail.com) if you want to just chat back and forth. I check my email pretty regularly, as well.

gregghia

lion_crazz thanks for taking that time for the input. Makes things clearer. The only disagreement I have that you didn't know is I have changed my bulbs before. I went from the stock 10K a year ago to 20K, same manufacturer, to now I have Phoenix 14K which seem to be rated high. I was hoping for the blend of color and growth. These bulbs are in place for 5 months now.... anyway, thanks again.