why are 150+ so expensive?

bronco300

how is it that a 75 gallon can cost 100-110 and a 150 can cost 400+? is the little bit thicker and larger glass really 300+ dollars more?? was just curious

halo_frk03

ya it stinks... i was thinkiing of upgrading tanks... but then saw some price tags...sorry i cant answer ur question

bronco300

i got one of my two 75s for $75 b/c the store had a $1/gallon sale up to 75gallons...i was thinking maybe id drill both and connect them somehow....but id hate to break the tanks too....id rather just buy a nice big tank...but thats a ncie chunk of change to lay down

1iviper

is the little bit thicker and larger glass really 300+ dollars more??
yes.
and working with 1/2 or 3/4 material cost more for from a manufacturing stand point.

bronco300

? well why does 1/2" glass cost so much more than 1/4" glass...i can understand double and even a bit over..but when i looked a website it was 2.50 for the 1/4 and 9 for the 1/2

phixer

There is a higher rejection rate for the thicker material. For example there is on the average of 5 sheets that are scraped for every 1 sheet of 1.25 thickness of cell cast acrylic. The thicker the material the more room for error there is, same principle for glass, at least thats how it was explained to me when I asked this question.

squidd

Then add in weight...
For shipping to mfg..$$ For extra labor to handle..$$ For shipping to LFS..$$
Then factor in your out of the "commodity" market... 75s are a dime a dozen cause the make "dozens"... 150s don't sell at the same rate so they demand a premium price (as does glass mfg for the thicker glass)
Then add in liability insurance... Bigger tanks can cause more damage...now we all know the mfg claims "no responsibility" for collateral damage in your home, but you better believe the insurance co. makes them pay a premium "in case" they get a suit...
And, don't forget...if it costs more it "costs" more...The LFS has to front the money to stock, so there is an interest factor added for money tied up...and finally...there is a higher profit margin on big ticket items than there is on comodities...
(See, I knew all those economics classes would pay off some day...
)

bronco300

hhaha, thanks squidd and all....squidd, do you think itd be pretty easy to drill and plumb together two 75s? i'd like to be able to have the ability for fish to swim through to each...

unleashed

some companies go a bit further when building tanks than others do. so you pay the price of such service and workmanship.if your paying 1 dollar per gallon expect that tank to be worth just that.thinner glass ,non tempered bottoms, sloppy seals over all weakness of structure.take AGA brand for instance each tank is custom built by one indevidual that persons name and the date it was built is on each tank.they take pride in their workmanship and if this tank is defective they go right to that person to rectify the issue.your not just paying for a tank your paying for quality workmanship and materials.botton line is you will get what you pay for.you want cheep you'll get cheep.you want quality and reliabilty its gonna cost you more.

bronco300

well the tank i got for 1/gallon was actually all-glass as well. 400 for a reef ready doesnt seem bad, but i talked to an lfs and it was for just the standard tank. It's too bad all glass aquaruims is strictly a wholesaler, they are actually about 30-45min away from where i live

squidd

Originally Posted by Bronco300
hhaha, thanks squidd and all....squidd, do you think itd be pretty easy to drill and plumb together two 75s? i'd like to be able to have the ability for fish to swim through to each...

With an 8" Clear acrylic tube between and special thin wall bulkheads...??
Could work...but by then the 150 might be the cheaper deal...

light10977

I would just keep looking in the classifieds until you find a heck of a deal. I found one on a 155 Bowfront AGA RR with all the trimmings for $1000

scsinet

Originally Posted by unleashed
some companies go a bit further when building tanks than others do. so you pay the price of such service and workmanship.if your paying 1 dollar per gallon expect that tank to be worth just that.thinner glass ,non tempered bottoms, sloppy seals over all weakness of structure.take AGA brand for instance each tank is custom built by one indevidual that persons name and the date it was built is on each tank.they take pride in their workmanship and if this tank is defective they go right to that person to rectify the issue.your not just paying for a tank your paying for quality workmanship and materials.botton line is you will get what you pay for.you want cheep you'll get cheep.you want quality and reliabilty its gonna cost you more.
It's funny you use these examples... Oceanic is "regarded" as one of the best tanks made, and they tend to not use tempered bottoms so they can be drilled, and AGA is "regarded" as being some of the cheapest or "worst" tanks, but as the owner of 3 AGA tanks, I think it's undeserved.
Not saying you're wrong... it's just... funny...