Why are my clownfish are swimming at the surface and on their sides?

I just get 2 b & W on 9/24, both are non stop swimming, check your water. I have one of tomato get hurt and she always sit on the heater until everyone went to sleep.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What could I place? How much light does an anenome need? My lights are not real strong, so if they need any significant light source an anenome or any coral would not be possible. Is there anything else I could use?
Absolutely no offense, but if you have to ask these questions, then you should not be thinking of getting an anemone.

I had some nice fake coral in a FO tank that my clown hosted.

It looked similar to this which you can see why a clownfish might like to host this:

sptfyre51

Absolutely no offense, but if you have to ask these questions, then you should not be thinking of getting an anemone.

I had some nice fake coral in a FO tank that my clown hosted.

It looked similar to this which you can see why a clownfish might like to host this:
I am absolutely not thinking of getting an anenome at this moment. Eventually I want to have coral and everything. But right now I am pretty new to the hobby so I would like to gain some experience before purchasing expensive equipment such as a sufficient lighting system that I would need for any of that. I was just checking simply because it was mentioned and I know anemones need stronger light, but am not certain how strong of light they need.

I asked about fake anemones in a previous post and was told they quickly become nasty and covered in algae. Did you have any such problems with the fake coral?

trigger40

i did... i ended up having to clean them all the time so their color faded so i took them out. but it really depends if you are willing to clean them every week.

Last edited:

beth

Administrator
Staff member
All fake decor has that issue....that is an issue with FO tanks, which you said you have? Do you have live rock?

sptfyre51

Yes I have a FO tank and I have about 50 lbs of live rock that has some coraline algae on it, so I may just try and get that to spread over the rocks for some added color.