why are my clowns dying???

royalgamma

last 2 weeks I have tried to put a clown in my tank and the both have died after a day or two..
amonina 0,
nitrite 0,
Nitrite between 10-20 ( not that high is it?),
ph 8.4,
S/G 1.022-1.023,
temp is around 77
I have damsells (2 blue devils and 1 yellow tail ), 1 cleaner shrimp, and 10 hermits, 2 snails o yea 44 gallon tank 20lbs live sand about 10lbs live rock and 20lbs of home made rock ( more in the garage curing about another 100lbs) tank has been up for about a month and a half or so. none of the other fish are having problems :notsure:
Thanks for the help :help:

nemo's mom

Damsels are highly territorial and might be killing your clowns. You should get rid of them. Also, define "home made rocks".

royalgamma

crushed oystrer shells,portland cement rocks (DIY rocks)
And I would watch the tank and the damsells never really bothered eith clown..the first clown was doing good ( was eating and looked heathly) the 2nd one was smaller and I never saw him eat then the next morning he was dead laying by the rocks
I didn't think clowns were that hard of a fish to keep anything else that would affect them???

royalgamma

I put the bag in the tank for about 20min
then put about 1 cup of tank water in the bag let it sit for another 10 min then another cup or two of tank water in the bag for another 10 min ( at this time the bag is floating in the tank open)then I drain the water out and get the fish out of the bag.
Note: the last clown was in the same bag as my 2 new blue devils and they went through this same procedure and were ok? :notsure:

royalgamma

i was just looking around the forums and remembered that the first clown ( the last time i saw him alive before work) had white stuff on him and looking at another thread looked like broknella?!? not sure if thats spelled right I though he had gotten sand or rock rub off on him from sleeping ?