why can I find bamboo shark and blue spot rays?

psusocr1

noone will probably give you any sites because 1. it isnt allowed on this board and 2. noone knows what size tank you have, equiptment, eperience etc.
second blue spot stingrays should be left in the ocean. they dont survive in captivity over 6 months. they just up and die one day evan if they seem fine and happy and they are eating.

sebae09

give us your tank size and equipment, also how much experence you have. i wont help you kill a shark or ray because of stupidity on your part so we need to know these things. you can get a blue spot ray but it wont live long, even very experenced people like me and psusocr1 cant keep them alive for long, noone can.

lori67

The tank is 300 gallon, and even thought I am not experiance, I am hiring a company which services salt water tank for the last 10 years. (I have seen his stats, he has service many shark tanks)
The equipment is 300 gallon, wet dry filter, with chiller and protein skimmer. Looking at other equipment to suit the kind of fish I plan to get.
When I say no experiance, I meant with Salt water, I've had extremly exotic fresh water for 10 years now.

sharkboy13

i wouldnt get a brown banded right off the bat, i woud get a coral cat or marbled bamboo for starts, just cuz they stay smaller and imo r much cooler.

sharkboy13

Originally Posted by sebae09
, even very experenced people like me and psusocr1 cant keep them alive for long, noone can.
well ur some of the most experienced ppl on the sight, but not in the world, the boston aquarium has 2 or 3 blue spots...

aw2x3

Originally Posted by Sharkboy13
well ur some of the most experienced ppl on the sight, but not in the world, the boston aquarium has 2 or 3 blue spots...
Dont think, for a second, that public aquariums keep fish for years, or their entire life span.
Something dies, or gets eaten...they purchase or catch another specimen.
When I was at Shedd, we replaced hundreds of fish on a monthly basis...it's just the way it works.

reefiness

Originally Posted by AW2x3
Dont think, for a second, that public aquariums keep fish for years, or their entire life span.
Something dies, or gets eaten...they purchase or catch another specimen.
When I was at Shedd, we replaced hundreds of fish on a monthly basis...it's just the way it works.
yup totally agreed... the only difference between public aquariums and aquarists like us is not the intelligence level (because i bet that many of us on this sight could out smart some of the employees at an aquarium), but the funds of which to develope their systems.
i mean if one of us goes out and purchases a $1000 fish or coral or something and with in the next few weeks it dies, we would cry like it was a human life lost but in an aquarium they just go and buy something else that they pay $2000 for. :hilarious

reeftank27

I had a blue spot and just like they said it died right at the 6 month mark, it was like clock work....wish i would have know about this bored then...could have saved a hundred bucks...live and learn.

peter ray

Hey there. I've had my bluespotted stingray for over a year now. He is very healthy. Very active with vibrant spots, eats out of my hand and loves to "hunt" for ghost shrimp as a treat! I keep him in a 150 gallon tank at home. His tankmates: a 1' leopard grouper, pajama cardinal, 2 gobies, a shrimp and 2 hermit crabs. "Peter Ray" started out in a partial reef tank in my office. He hammed it up for all my students for 8 months and then I moved him to my home to his larger tank. He's doing even better there! I also know that I got lucky with him. I've learned a lot having him and I've even met a few others who have good luck with these particular rays.

aw2x3

Originally Posted by Peter Ray
Hey there. I've had my bluespotted stingray for over a year now.
Is it a regular Blue Spot (Dasyatis Kuhlii ) or is it the Ribbon Tail (Taeniura lymma) variant, of the species?
And...Welcome to the forum!

peter ray

Peter Ray is a Blue Spotted Ribbontail. Taeniura Lymma. I will post pics soon. I'll include his baby pics and recent ones in his new setup.
I have learned so much from these forums on how to care for him and also how most of these guys end up not making it. So far, so good.

peter ray

Here are 2 pictures of Peter Ray in his new home. As you can see he is quite the ham. I have to resize his baby pictures. Will do another time. :cheer:

peter ray

Here are some more in his new tank. The last picture with him and the corals were his first home. He was much smaller then. His new home has a lot of open swimming areas. Enjoy!

aw2x3

Yeah...hopefully that tank is 5 times bigger than the tank you're showing, cause that's rediculously tiny...looks like a 46gal. bowfront.

tx reef

He said he had the ray in his tank at work (the bowfront) for 8 months.
It is now in a 150 gallon tank, though that may be too small in the longrun.