Why cant we keep lionfish in a reef?

rane

think that is the only downfall? they are beautiful fish and was wondering, I mean other fish eat brine shrimp and they dont eat like cleaner shrimps.

overanalyzer

A lionfish will eat anythign that fits into its mouth - so if you get a dwarf then it woudl stay pretty small. contemplated a dwarf lionfish and an eel as the only inhabitants of mid-sized reef - both are messy eaters and your shrimp would be toast. On top of that you would haveto have really good filtration methods in place to handle the extra bioload!!

I keep a Antennata(Spotfin Lion) in my reef. Theres a mandarin and a niger trigger in with him. But whoever said is right, no shrimp. Keep them well fed and smaller faster fish shouldnt be an issue. Mine waits until I put my hand in the water and eats from my fingers unless a live shrimp is present.

y2says

My brother had a volitan in his reef with a tiger goby, clown, and even a hawk fish. It didn't do anything. No shrimps though.

jarvis

It can be done. You will be limited to what types of tankmates you can keep to avoid them being lunch. One thing to consider is that Lionfish can sting you which means you will have to keep a watchfull eye when messing with the tank or wear gloves. For this reason I decided against getting one since I spot feed quite often.

Ok, I went to an LFS and saw a 7" Lionfish in with a 2" cleaner shrimp. Just a holding tank BTW, but I told the guy there that the Lion will eat the shrimp. The guy just said that they were both fine together.
My first guess is that the Lion MUST be into frozen foods and not live, right?
Explanation?
Thanks, Justin

krunk

If i recall seeing pics of your tank...you only had large tangs...then a dwarf lion would be perfect for that tank.

bigmac

besides all the stuff mentioned you have to remember that we reefer heads keep sticking our hands in the tank. Getting stuck by a lionfish WILL HURT to say the least.