Why do dogs eat grass?

scotts

I have heard that dogs eat grass when they are not feeling well. Not sure if this is an olds wives tale or not. But I have a dog that I think is ill right now and she is chowing down on our grass. So just made me wonder why dogs eat grass?

mimzy

Dogs and cats like to nibble on grass sometimes.... cats especially like fresh sprouting plants of any kind...even if its not good for them.
The reason is a bit of a mystery... but with dogs the general consensus is that it may be an attempt to facilitate vomiting up something they've eaten that's causing discomfort.

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by GAfish
soothes their stomach when it is upset....
YES!! When a dog is feeling nauseous (sp?) it will eat grass to try to sooth it's stomach, it rarely works and they puke anyway so people tend to think that the grass is what's making them sick but it's not.

zman1

Originally Posted by Tizzo
and they puke anyway
Don't remember where I read it, but actually that is why they eat it. This article was about cats... preemptive hair ball puke.

scotts

Oh great leave it to Tizzo to make this thread go off on a tangent.
I was just kind of wondering because I had heard that they will eat the grass when they are not feeling well but just kind of curious as to why, but then these little suckers also eat sponges, branches, flowers, rocks, swimming goggles, kids toys.......

gamedawg

The upset stomach thing is an old wives tale. They don't eat it in order to puke, they just eat it because they need it, and a drawback is, it makes them puke. Dogs need other nutrients besides meat. When their dogfood isn't giving them what they need, they eat other things. A carnivore still needs nutrients from vegetables, as I'm sure you have even seen in your fish. A lot of dog foods don't give them much vegetation, so they will eat grass and other stuff if you give it to them. I had a cat that actually liked broccoli, raw! My dogs will eat lettuce, green beans, etc. A lot of dogs love carrots. Beneful dogfood has quite a bit of veggies, I bet if you fed your dog this it wouldn't eat grass too much, and it wouldn't puke either.

zman1

Dang that's what I thought cornmeal was..Besides little nutritional value.. My Bad
Side note the colors and shape of food are for the human appeal and not the animal appeal.

zman1

Eating Grass
Holly Nash, DVM, MS
Veterinary Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith, Inc.
Q. Why do dogs eat grass?
A. Dogs commonly eat grass, and there are several explanations that have been offered for this behavior. One, wild canids (e.g., wolves and fox) eat all of an animal when they catch it. Since they eat many herbivores (plant-eating animals), they end up eating a lot of grasses and plants that were in the intestines of these animals. In addition, they have been known to eat certain berries and other plant material. Dogs then, may eat grass because, in reality, it is a normal part of their diet.
Many times, dogs will vomit after eating grass. Did they eat grass to make them vomit? Or did they vomit because they ate grass? It is a mystery, but it seems that some dogs may eat vegetation when they have an upset stomach.
The third reason - they just like it. Some dogs have certain species of grass or plant material that they will search out and eat. We know a beagle who can pick raspberries faster than his owner.
In any case, grass eating is basically a normal behavior, and is not of concern unless your dog does it excessively.

S

simm

Well I have a Red Heeler. He dosent get to chase or heard up cows. So I figured he has the attitude of cant be with them Ill just eat grass and be like them.

tikkit

I think gamedawg is right. I started feeding my dogs beneful a couple months ago and neither dog has eaten much grass since. Vets around here swear by beneful dogfood.

coastie55g

Originally Posted by simm
Well I have a Red Heeler. He dosent get to chase or heard up cows. So I figured he has the attitude of cant be with them Ill just eat grass and be like them.

THATS WHAT I WANT!!!!
but it sucks cause right now i live in Rhode Island, and it costs a fortune to ship a pup here...i so miss our family blue heeler..