Why do I need a refugium?

youmademeink

Is having a refugium really necessary? I am unclear as to why you would need one. I havea canister filter, a protein skimmer plus live rock and sand. Please help, I don't want to mess up my tank from the start.

fedukeford

refigium's aren't necessary, people use them to do different thing. The main thing people use them for though is to grow macro algea (usually cheatomopha and calpura) which reduces nitrates. They can also be used to grow your pod population if you have a fish that mainly comsumes pods in a smaller tank, they also add more water volume which leads to more stable water

youmademeink

Won't cheatomopha and calpura grow in the display tank? I realize most algea isn't very pleasant, but if it helps the tank out, why not let it grow there?

hagfish

You don't have to have one. But they can really only help if operated properly. The benefits include...
1. Increased water volume (dilution of bad chemicals)
2. Photosynthesis of macro algae (The algae consumes nitrates and phosphates)
3. The photosynthesis above helps stabilize PH by adding oxygen to the water at night while photosynthetic organisms in the main tank add oxygen during the day.
4. Provides a safe place for critters like copepods and amphipods to reproduce and live. They will then provide a natural food source to the main tank.
5. Sand bed can be added for denitrification.
6. LR or LR rubble can be added for additional biological filtration.
7. If sump area is included, equipment can be stored here, out of view of main tank.
8. If dosing anything, it's usually better to add to the sump or fuge so these things can dissipate a little rather than directly contacting something and hurting it.
There's probably other things I didn't mention too.

fbm

Originally Posted by YouMadeMeInk
Won't cheatomopha and calpura grow in the display tank? I realize most algea isn't very pleasant, but if it helps the tank out, why not let it grow there?

I don't have a fuge but I believe you don't let this stuff grow in DT because fish eat it so it will all be consumed. And if you don't have fish that eat it, it will take over your tank rather quickly.

hagfish

Originally Posted by YouMadeMeInk
It will. But as I pointed out after your post there are many other benefits too. Plus, caulerpa may go sexual if not under 24/7 lighting and this is bad for a tank. That won't happen with chaeto though. IMO, I don't really want any macro algae in my reef tank. The reason is that most of it can harm corals by overgrowing them and "choking" them until they won't open. Some macro's can be plague-like and difficult to get rid of.

fedukeford

Cheato can be grown in the DT, and you could even put it behind some rocks as long as it gets flow and light. Calpura usually can't be grown in a DT (unless you have your lights on 24/7) because without light ALL the time it can so sexual and crash the tank.

1journeyman

I run my refugium lights opposite my display lights. The growth of Chaeto in the refugium helps oxygenate the water at night and prevents a pH shift.
Another benefit is the added water volume. The more water the better.

youmademeink

Ok I have read on another post about a "hang on refugium". What is that and how does it work? and is it as good as a regular refugium?

I've never seen one, but in theory, if it hangs on the side of the tank, it would have to be too small to be very effective, IMO.

travis89

They just hang on the back of your tank like a HOB protien skimmer. the largest on I have seen is 25.5"x4.5"x12", which would hold a decent amount.

scrapman

very informative, interesting. I have a 90 gal. LR/LS/no coral.
Growing Caulerpa in the DT is OK (IMO) if you keep in in control. Never had problem with "going sexual". If too much, I take a bunch out. If I can cath dead/whitish leaves, I take them out. If not the filtration does it. I check the params every other day.
I tried Chaeto... not a "fun" algea (IMO). Gone for ever.
Everybody is happy: 5 chromis, 2 perc clown, one yellow tail blue damsel.. so far.
Also, IMO a hang on (out) fuge is uglier that my set up: 2 Fluval (405) setting on the floor out of the way, and one (unfortunately hanging!) Prizm protein Skimmer.
(the worst but efefcti )u

miami298

I am in the process of doing research to start up a tank and I have a few questions about Refugiums.
First, thank you all for listing great information here about its benefits.
Second, I am thinking of buying one rather than making one myself. Are there any specific brands that are worth looking into or any advice on how to proceed?
Third, I see macro algea and copepods mentioned. How does the macro algea come about? Does it just start growing or is there something I need to put in there to get it kick started (I saw someone mention some Walt Smith Mud?) Also, how would I get started with Copepods and how do I feed them to the fish. Are they big enough to transfer with a net or do they just get taken up via a pump.
Sorry for the newbie questions, I've never had a filtration system of this nature on my prior nano tanks.