Why do my tangs look like they have sand all over them

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by ElitePhoto
substrate is fine live sand. experience level, this is my 3rd tank, the last tank being a 240 gallon. this is my first tank ive had in 3 years and my first time having tangs. the tangs are all about 3-4 inches except the naso who is about 5". my LFS told me to bring the powder brown in and he will take a look at him and see whats up. I do have a large fire shimp in my tank and I do see him cleaning the tangs daily.
If your at a experienced level, why can't you figure out it's ich? And why are you using test strips? For a experienced person, you shouldn't be doing certain stuff and know certain stuff better then a novice.... Just my thought! :happyfish

alyssia

Originally Posted by Bacia
I am pretty new at this also but would it help if a cleaner shrimp was added to the tank? I have heard that they will clean ick off the fish. My cleaner shrimp seems to be really good at cleaning off all kinds of fish not just tangs.

Don't count on it. My cleaner shrimp and neon gobies never clean.

saltfan

Ok, this sandy substance on your fish, is it white in color? Best bet, remove 40lbs of LR from your tank, your going to need to give them some room to get around. You are doing what you can for your fish at this point. You must make sure that they eat, this is going to be key to their survival. The Fire Shrimp will help, but he can't get rid of the eggs that are most definately going to be in your sand soon. You want to keep them calm, no stress, so taking the PBT to the store imo would be a disaster, this would surley stress him to the point of going TKO. Keep an eye on them, evidently a QT is out of the question, so just make sure that they are eating well, as this will surely help in their cause. They are capable of kicking this themselves, if you feed them the right things.

elitephoto

Originally Posted by Mikeyjer
If your at a experienced level, why can't you figure out it's ich? And why are you using test strips? For a experienced person, you shouldn't be doing certain stuff and know certain stuff better then a novice.... Just my thought! :happyfish
never ssaid i was a pro at this and im not a vet. I assumed it was ick but have never dealt with or seen the issue. my 240 i had sharks and a sting ray, not tangs. anyway the powder brown and the naso died today, both about the same time. everything else in the tank looks great. all the other fish and corals are doing wonderful. I think the newer tang had ick when i bought him so i frooze him and am going to try and take him to the store and see if they offer me credit for the problem. thanks for the assistance.

N

nereef

the blue hippo won't last long in a 72 either, even if it was added when it was healthy. your best bet is to get rid of the hippo tang also.