Why do people rush this?

goobernif

Just a general observation. for the few months i've been scoping out this board, i've noticed that the majority of 'new hobbyists' are VERY IMPATIENT. i'm trying to get comments on why we rush even when we are told that this hobby takes time, study and patients. So i think i'll attach a survey to see why some people rush. why can't there be more than two questions... grr.. just vote or post your opinion.
Thanks.

karajay

Here's my .02 :)
People don't want to spend all the money on the equip, LR etc. to sit and look at an empty tank. My husband is like that.

i think its because they walk into a pet shop and see all the colorfull and neat looking fish, for instance a shark or sting ray.'
or they wach movies with huge aqauriums, like deuce bigilow male gigilo, and they see all that guys fish, like the lion he had.

goobernif

isn't that funny... don't like looking at a bare tank. i had my 55 up with filters, skimmers and LR for about 4 months before i added my first animal. i thought it was pretty with just the lights and rocks. hum... :thinking:

rbmount

I agree with Karajay, I'ts the money thing. But I would also have to vote twice on the poll, because people today are too impaitent and it's the fad thing because of the movie. There's plenty of posts on this board about greedy lfs owners wanting to sell setups to make money. The two stores I go to the first thing they ask is how long has your tank been set up and what other fish do you have? I didn't understand myself at first, but the owner of Wet Pets in Gastonia, NC took the time with me to write the cycle steps down for me and explain the cycle before I put in the first fish. His advice paid off for me because the only real loss I have had is a fish that decided to go carpet surfing. I wish more were like them. That's my .02.

skirrby

i cant even really vote on this based on how im doing things.. im very new to this hobby. never even done a freshwater tank before.. we had one when i was a kid but my dad always delt with it(it was freshwater). i did buy my tank on kinda a impulse buy. but it was on sale and the price was right.. i knew nothing when i bought the tank. but as soon as i got home i started to collect all the info i could.. ive been on this board every night since like a day after i got the tank. ive read each page and pic caption of "the conscientious marine aquarist". slowly bought equipment for my tank. its been over a month since ive got my tank and its still empty. its amazing the stuff that ive learned in that time. my tank should be up soon.. just after the holidays. then we truley get to see how much i learned.. ok im rambling.. but im just saying not all people rush this hobby.

humuhumu

I believe that it is just part of our society, weather we can afford it or not, we see what we want and we want it now. Unfortunatly those who don't understand this hobby are bound to make costly mistakes.

cayman isl

I agree, it's easy to get caught up in the excitement of having a flourishing tank. I made the mistake with my 45 gallon FO tank. Tried to do everything as soon as possible and the end result was a tank full of dead fish.
I have since learned to be patient and am "slowly" setting up a 20 gallon nano reef. (you can check the progress in the nano forum).
I do find that there is satisfaction in watching your work and patience develop into a sustainable system, as I just added a clean-up crew today. It is mesmerizing to watch these snails and crabs do their jobs! And I never hesistate to share ny progress with the folks in the nano forum to make sure I'm on the right track.
My biggest goal I hope to attain out of setting up this nano is to not kill anything! And to do that I've learned I need to SLOW DOWN!!
Chris

lesleybird

We are human and we want the nemo toy now. What do you expect? With out reading anyone would think that if you can afford to buy the tank and the fish today then they can go in the tank now (like we always did with fresh water). We have everything now......flick the remote on the TV see a different show now, pick up the cell phone tank to your friend now, put it in the microwave and have it hot now, go to the store and buy ready made clothing to wear now, jump on a plane and be in another town today, pick up that bottle and change the color of your hair now. I mean really! Don't we live in a wonderful time? If you are rich enough you can even get away with putting saltwater fish in the uncycled tank and get away with it. I started my ninety gallon 6 weeks ago and did not cycle it at all.......used all live sand, lots of curred live rock from the LFS and 80 biochem stars that had been placed in a plastic bag with over a half bottle of cycle over night (they absorbed it) then placed into the wet/dry filter. Threw an old biowheel from another tank into the overflow, put in some very delicate angelfish and said a prayer. Am I impatient? H--- yes! Thank god I am also smart enough to pull this off. I did weekly 20 percent water changes out of fear for the worst. One night I lay awake thinking what have I done? I didn't even cycle the tank. Well the amonia never spiked, neither did the nitrate. Never went above zero. Fish alive and well. I DO NOT reccomend that anyone follow my example of impatience................................................? Lesley

lesleybird

One more thing. The rock that I used in the tank was fully curred with no die off. Each piece was fully inspected to make sure that it had no bad odor or any soft slimy dead stuff on it. My LFS is great as I can buy wonderful live rock for 4 bucks a pound that has been scrubbed and sprayed at the proccesing center before he gets it into his store and is placed into a specal tank with a lot of water flow for further curring. I made sure that each piece of live rock had been in the store for at least a week or more to be safe. Any die off on live rock in a tank with fish already in it could be a dissaster. Lesley

niger12

My first tank sat for months with just water and rock. Basicly because I was young and the set up blew my wad and I had to save for the fish. But I think it may come down to anything new. People and me can't wait to play with a new tow or go for a drive in the new car. I think the new tank is the same feeling.

temple2101

I think most people rush because they have to "experience" it before they learn it. I have been told many times here what I should and shouldn't do, but in the end most of the time I have just tried it out for myself. And boy, I wish I woulda listened. But didn't you ever do things that you parents told you not to? Curiosity has been my biggest flaw. But I have learned quite a bit!

D

dorie

I was so impatient, I blew $1,000. worth of fish and verts on my new system after the cycle period, within 2 months and then everything died "I felt awful" I alsmost gave up but I am determined to learn, I am hooked I love this hobby, plus my job is very stressful and I just love vegging out on my system it is so relaxing and it reduces my stress level.
I love all creatures and now I have learned.
Since then I have read a lot on the subject and I have had my new system up for more than 8 mos. now and everything is still alive and doing well.
I go very slowly on stocking my tank and one species at a time.
I am guilty of having Too much money to spend. I would like to get some cleaner shrimp and cleaner wrasse on my list? any ideas on where I can obtain them? I have a wish list on file, but so far no luck!
My goal is a Reef System with only a small amount of Fish.
My current setup is as follows:
I have 180 gal., wet & dry trickle system with 32mph returning water to tank, skimmer, uv sterlizer, 2 power heads in tank, 2 fizz bars, 2 triple light system on top, my stock so far is all live rock, live sand, crabs, snails, 1 tomato clown, 2 maroon clown, 4 sand sifter gobys, 3 yellow tangs, 1 hippo tang, 3 different corals, 4 different anemones.
I test my water every other day and its great everytime, but I do not have a reef tester?
Should I get one?
I was also reading on the the uv sterlizer comment! Should I get rid of mine?
Any comments are greatly appreciated!

lesleybird

Hi, I have read that cleaner wrasses do not fare too well at all in captivity. Read that they don't eat well if they don't have an ocean full of fish to eat parasites off of. I would look into getting one or two of the different types of reef safe fairy wrasses instead. Most are very colorful and peaceful. I have one in my ninety gallon who is a model citizen. Good luck, Lesley

D

dorie

Will the fairy eat the parasites off the fish that is only reason I would want them in my tank. I want to make sure the fish are well taken care of when it comes to treating the parasites naturally.

beaslbob

Even though I knew better I rushed to have a tank ready for the grand kids at thanksgiving last year. The grand kids got to see a bunch of fish die when they visited.

skirrby

i see you put that you didnt mean to offend anyone.. just wanted to let you know that i wasnt offended on bit :)