Why do they keep jumping out?!

vsecret

SO I just lost my second orange spotted sandsifter in two weeks! I had my first one for about 5 days and it jumped out in the middle of the night. Then I just got another yesterday and i found it on the floor this morning! My tank param's are in check - I test myself and my LFS tests. All my fish are healthy, but the sandsifters keep jumping out! Am I doing anything wrong? After the first one I covered the large-ish hold by the filter, then there was only a small one about the size of a quarter. Well apparently it was big enough for the second one to jump out after not even 12 hours of being in my tank! They do such an amazing job cleaning that I really want to have one to keep, but they keep carpet surfing.

flower

Cover the entire tank with mesh or egg crate...water parameters make no difference why a fish jumps. Even a small hole they get through. If you had a larger tank with a canopy they might have a harder time.

xcali1985

Fish natural instinct is to flee upward unless they have established somewhere they feel 100% safe in the tank.
I lost a diamond goby, anything can startle it at night a snail or crab hitting it, to a wondering fish.

My lawnmower blenny jumps out of the tank onto the lip of my filter cause it has all kinds of algae on it. The only part of it in the water is the bottom of his tail than he jumps back into the tank. I'm always afraid hes gonna be cat food cause my damn cats are so obsessed with my fish tanks

flower

Originally Posted by Xcali1985
http:///forum/post/3279582
Fish natural instinct is to flee upward unless they have established somewhere they feel 100% safe in the tank.
I lost a diamond goby, anything can startle it at night a snail or crab hitting it, to a wondering fish.

Moonlights will ease night time problems.