why do xenia "pulse"?

arkman

read some research that the obvious (feeding, respiration) is not the reason --- wondering if anyone had any thoughts. My wife thinks it may be for locomotion - ours is speeding slong at about 1 cm/week :D

THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL SPECIES AND GROW AND SPREAD FAST AND MULTIPLY QUICK... ADD IODINE IS WHAT MAKES THEM TRIVE WITH CALCIUM AND ALK... LOW CURRENTS MAKE THEM PULSE AND FAST CURENTS MAKE THEM STRECH BE CAREFUL... ON YOUR DECCISION. TURN THE ROCK ON THE SIDE SO IT CAN CLIMB AND IT WILL GO TOWARDS THE LIGHT FOR A FEW DAYS THEN PUT IT BACK TO WERE IT WAS, AND U HAVE LOTS MORE XENIAS IS WEIRD........................:cool:

jonthefb

the one that makes the most sense to me is that the pulsing helps in gas exchange, but no one really has any ideas!
it sure looks cool though!
good luck
jon

arkman

yo Seattle.
Bigtime speaker at Blue Sierra tomorrow night 2/22 at 6. Coral expert Eric Borneman - Im going to ask him :)
Recent studies "prove" the pulsing is not for respiration (gas exchenge) or feeding...
Very interesting....

pbuck

I just added 3 small xenia frags to my tank. For the first week or so they were not pulsing at all and they looked sickly. Then a couple of days ago all 3 frags started to pulse like crazy. I am wondering what caused all 3 frags to begin pulsing at the same time. Believe me, they were not pulsing until the day when all 3 started. I have kept a close eye on these little guys.