Why does my GSP look like this?

richarl5

I bought this from my LFS as a small frag and was just wondering why my polyps aren't extending like most do. It has greatly improved since I first put it in the tank, so I'm not complaining about it getting worse, but it doesn't look how I would've thought it should. Is it sick?
Here's now, and then before:

frankthetank

Originally Posted by richarl5
Sorry, just stating that there are now more polyps opening..lol forgot to mention that..
Ok, so you're worried about the extension of the polyps?

richarl5

Exactly. The larger polyps on the frag have green on the tips so I am assuming that the LFS was correct in labeling it as GSP, although there is hardly any green to be found on mine. I just want to know whether I have it placed incorrectly in my tank, which would result in the extension issues.

X

xnikki118x

Originally Posted by richarl5
Exactly. The larger polyps on the frag have green on the tips so I am assuming that the LFS was correct in labeling it as GSP, although there is hardly any green to be found on mine. I just want to know whether I have it placed incorrectly in my tank, which would result in the extension issues.

Yeah, if they're extending try to move them higher so they get more light.

dejaco

Color will appear different under different lighting scenario's.
Polyps will open on GSP under most lighting, I find flow to be
a more critical factor.

bonebrake

They are "brown star polyps" and not green star polyps, if they are/were extended they were stretching to get more light.
They may have a little green in them, but they are the ghetto green star polyps and not the really intense green star polyps.

I got duped too and bought some "brown star polyps" once. I have had them for over six months and they have not turned more green, but have quadrupled in size. A friend of mine hooked me up and gave me some of the greenest GSP I have ever seen a few months ago so now I got the good stuff!
:joy:

ninjamini

I bought some green star polyps for my 12 gallon nano cube dc. They looked brown and did not extend all that often or that much.
Since I moved them to the 90 with MH & Atinics they are oooh so green and extend nicely. They have also grown to adjacent rocks.

richarl5

Thank you all for your great responses!
My flow is medium, like it says they need on SWF, I will try to move them up a little higher and see if that makes them extend more/retract more, and then possibly experiment with the water flow.

taznut

mine looked like that when i got it, it took about 3 weeks just to open all of its polyps... i have my HOB filter over the top of it and a jet bouncing off the glass hitting it... the tenticles have doubled and lenght and the tips of those are green... (not really blasting it too hard but it seems to like the flow it has now)

gatorwpb

As mine extended more, the green became more pronounced. I have strong light and pretty strong flow. The extension is huge.

As to yours, I see a little bit of green on the tips, so they may brighten up with better flow/lighting.

maingo

Here is a picture of my GSP under 2x250w 14k MH they tend to do better under highflow, not to mention they are taking my tank the colony is moving out by the week

richarl5

OK that's good to know! Thank you!...I need to invest in better lighting...
By the way, how do you get this to attach to your base rock?

taznut

mine isnt attached... i have 130w 50/50 lighting for mine and it is growing... i want mine to look like gator's, i will have to point jet at it a little more...