Why in the hell are stand/canopies so damn expensive!!!!!!!!!

viking

[rant on]
I don't understand this. All it is is wood probly one of the cheapest and most available building materials on the planet but for some reason a desent stand costs almost $150-$350 and a canopy about $130-$170 :mad: that is just retarded!!!! I hope these people are using titanium nails or somthing b/c thats the only reason that either one of these things could cost so much!!!
Anybody got any websites that tell you what you need to build a stand for a 55gal tank?? b/c there is no way in hell that i am going to pay these people for a couple chunks of wood, a few nails, and two hinges!
[rant off]
sorry i just had to get that out of my system :)

fender

Built my own, you could park a tank on it and it cost about $100 all materials included using white aspen and 2by4s. I looked at the cheesy particle board flimsy piece of crud that my LFS was selling for $150-$300 and thought there is no way. Took me a weekend, I have the tools and used to be a carpenter - but it was VERY easy.
You could do it for cheaper than I did, I WAY over built mine.

q

Just had a cabnit maker build me one. He used 3/4 in oak. Set me back 900+. Gonna use it for my entertainment center too which is the main price factor.
Pics soon :)

viking

fender do you have any pics?? that white aspen sounds really nice. did you stain it or just seal it up and let the natural grain show??

jerryreef

I myself find that $675 for a 72" x 24" cherry finish stands without the canopy, for 180 gallon tanks somewhat overpriced.
I did see a 72" x 28" high DIY plans for a 135 gallon tank most interesting and appealing.
But I shall be most appreciative if you could also include me on your email list, Old Yeller Tang. I trust that I am not being too presumptuous.
Thanks
Jere
usasite1@netscape.net

mark24

You can check out pix of my tank/stand me and my dad built it. Just click on the home page icon.
-Mark

fender

No pics yet, I used a mahogany stain, looks very cool, almost like cherry wood. Unfortunately I had to stain it in February, in a cold garage and it has some streaks. Gives it an antigue look.

jerryreef

That is a fabulous "whitewash finish" stand you and your dad built, Mark. Great job, very professional looking. What sort of bracing and load support structure, you're using, and materials used? What is the load?
Thanks

dburr

Nice tank MARK24. I was thinking about buying a iron stand for about $65 and dressing it up with wood. That saves me some bucks and piece of mind.(i'm no carpender by any means) :rolleyes:

mark24

I got a new picture of the stand being built.
1.The way we painted it was with a compressed air machine, with a paint spray gun thing (highly technical term). We also did 2 coats of primer, by hand, and 2 coats of paint.
2. All that we really needed to use was a good amount of 2x4's, ply wood, alot of screws, and a nifty little nail gun.
Also, my dad could easily be a carpenter, but I dont know many carpenters that have a Master's in Political Science...
If you have any questions ask, my dad's is coming back in town tonite.
-Mark
[ August 17, 2001: Message edited by: Mark24 ]