Why is my clown swimming all the way on top??? new pic

trotsky123

Hi, yesterday my friend had to get rid of his clowns as he's buying other/bigger fish so I took a tomato clown.
My first fish in a new tank.
I had my 35 hex running for a month with Fluval 205 and Penguin Biowheel (from old tank) running side by side for 3 weeks.
I used old sand as well with bacteria from my previous tank.
I have coralia nano circulating the water.
The parameters are fine.
Yet, my clown today is all the way on top looking up. I fed him some mysis shrimp and he did eat (i thought he was hungry).
He's still on top.
What is going on? Is he gonna die?
Is he out of air?
Should I get another powerhead for the middle of the tank?

mkroher

Is he gasping for air? Check ammonia and nitrite (yet you say your parameters are fine?)
What is the salinity level of your friend's tank vs yours?
Is something scaring him?

trotsky123

Hi, the salinity was a bit off (mine was 1.024, his was 1.022) but I thought the acclimation takes care of that.
The tank was empty, just snails and hermit crab living there.
Before I added the fish, all levels were at 0, ph was 8.0.
From this forum I was told the ammonia/nitrite should spike when you put the first fish in and then level off - am I not correct?
I will check again tonight of course. If that's the case, what do I do to bring it down?
ALSO, how many powerheads do I need in a 35 gallon hex? I have 240mgh Coralia positioned towards the top (as I was advised). I have Fluval 205 output in the middle. Is this not correct?
Do I need one more powerhead?
THANK YOU!

mkroher

Adding a fish should may give a SLIGHT imbalance (probably undetectable by test kits). If you add more than one fish, then I would be worried and watch the levels more. But yes, adding your one fish, the tank will eventually "level off".
As far as water flow: For my tank.. I try to have 4 inches of water flow per second.
Is anything scarying the clown? Another fish?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotsky123 http:///forum/thread/384241/why-is-my-clown-swimming-all-the-way-on-top#post_3365395
Hi, the salinity was a bit off (mine was 1.024, his was 1.022) but I thought the acclimation takes care of that.
The tank was empty, just snails and hermit crab living there.
Before I added the fish, all levels were at 0, ph was 8.0.
From this forum I was told the ammonia/nitrite should spike when you put the first fish in and then level off - am I not correct?
I will check again tonight of course. If that's the case, what do I do to bring it down?
ALSO, how many powerheads do I need in a 35 gallon hex? I have 240mgh Coralia positioned towards the top (as I was advised). I have Fluval 205 output in the middle. Is this not correct?
Do I need one more powerhead?
THANK YOU!

trotsky123

Hi, there is no other fish there......
what does that mean in regards to my 240MPH coralia:
As far as water flow: For my tank.. I try to have 4 inches of water flow per second?
Do I have enough?

flower

:hi:
You most likely need another power head in mid tank. A spray bar will help as well. Hex tanks are deep and have a small top area for oxygen exchange. Also clowns like to claim certain corners as home...IF he is not gasping for air, he may just like that space.
Edit:
P.S.
When I add a new critter I also add some Nutrafin cycle with it. It boosts the good bacteria to help break down the ammonia from adding more to the bioload of the tank..

trotsky123

Thank you! I will buy another one tonight and this Nutrafin Cycle - btw, do you add it to the aquarium directly or with the water change?
I tried to look up Directions on line but can't find......

trotsky123

ONE MORE QUESTION
should my coralia be facing upwards or downwards? should it stir the top or provide flow towards the bottom?

mkroher

ONE MORE QUESTION
should my coralia be facing upwards or downwards? should it stir the top or provide flow towards the bottom?
I face my powerheads up toward the surface.

trotsky123

Ok, he's alive but still floating on top. Got two pics. Something is up with this website - it got my small format and just blasted it all over.
Checked water - salinity is 1.023
Ph is 8. Ammonia, Nitrite is 0. Nitrate is 5.0 ppm.
I was looking at forums all day and people say that clowns just behave weird - is that possible?

flower

LOL...You can see that picture? My eyes are too bad. If the fish isn’t gasping trying to get air I wouldn’t worry unless he seems to have issues staying upright.

They do weird things like become best buds with intake tubes and thermometers..The cycle has directions on the bottle. I just add it to the tank, it is good bacteria it won't hurt anything. It is just a precaution I do and it isn't important really if you are adding fish slow as you should.

I added four seahorses at once and was nervous about it. I never added more than two of anything in the tank at once. A fish tank balances the amount of good bacteria with the ammonia and waste of what is already in the tank. The cycle feeds on extra ammonia a new critter might cause and just boosts the natural cycle. You can’t over do it.

trotsky123

Let me ask you - what does hosting in regards to fish mean? I tried to find the real meaning but can't find anything except in reg to animone.
Does that mean that my clown will be living next to this thermometer?
Also, would you be able to suggest any nice colorful additions to my 35 gal tank for the future?
I am aware not to add anything for a month after first fish

mkroher

Hosting means he'll just hang out and rub his butt all over whatever he finds comfy. I had a clown that hosted a powerhead.... then he hosted my goniopora flower pot coral.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotsky123 http:///forum/thread/384241/why-is-my-clown-swimming-all-the-way-on-top-new-pic#post_3365659
Let me ask you - what does hosting in regards to fish mean? I tried to find the real meaning but can't find anything except in reg to animone.
Does that mean that my clown will be living next to this thermometer?
Also, would you be able to suggest any nice colorful additions to my 35 gal tank for the future?
I am aware not to add anything for a month after first fish

beth

Administrator
Staff member
It is not unusual for clowns to hang out, but they usually are active as well. If this fish is in an uncycled tank, then expect ammonia and nitrite which may kill him. Tanks should be cycled with live rock and live sand, not live fish.
What is your ammonia reading?
Clownfish will usually host anemones, if one is available, meaning they live in them, protect them. In the absence of an anemone, they may host a coral or something else in the aquarium.