why is my green favia turning red?

bill109

hey everyone,
i got a favia it was marked as a meteor shower, i have 2 pieces of it, one under pc's and one under 8x 54 W t-5's.
the one in my 90 gallon that is turning a reddish color, is under th t-5's
heres a pic let me know if you can conlude anything

thanks
-bill

J

jetskiking

Its common for corals do display different color under different light.

reefkprz

usually when corals change from greens to red/browns it could be a short list of possibilities. I'll list em, you eliminate 'em as suspects, hows that sound.
1. over illumination (not light shock) but too much UV/light will cause browning as the coral tries to protect itself (think of it as a suntan)
2. under illumination (by the sound of your lights this is less likley in my opinion) corals will often darken to make better use of available light with browner zooxantella
3. nutrient rich water (unlikley as favia are rather fond of high nutrients if this were the case your other corals would likley be showing signs of stress too)
4. elevated phosphates.
those arte a couple possibilities for you hope it helps.

bill109

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/3125672
usually when corals change from greens to red/browns it could be a short list of possibilities. I'll list em, you eliminate 'em as suspects, hows that sound.
1. over illumination (not light shock) but too much UV/light will cause browning as the coral tries to protect itself (think of it as a suntan)
2. under illumination (by the sound of your lights this is less likley in my opinion) corals will often darken to make better use of available light with browner zooxantella
3. nutrient rich water (unlikley as favia are rather fond of high nutrients if this were the case your other corals would likley be showing signs of stress too)
4. elevated phosphates.
yes, the tank is a 90 gal with 8x54 W t-5's with individual reflectors. now, it could be phosphates..
but then again im not sure, i make my own ro/di water..
but it could be? i have been having to scrape my glass daily instead of every other couple of days. i have water mixing no though.
should i lower them in the tank?

krazykarel

I just saw this...I would move it to a less sunny spot in your tank and see how it reacts. Maybe it is getting a tan!

bill109

Originally Posted by krazykarel
http:///forum/post/3131464
I just saw this...I would move it to a less sunny spot in your tank and see how it reacts. Maybe it is getting a tan!
i moved it, and its not doing ne better. its on the sand from midway in the tank

loopy101

what do you mean by its not doing any better? is it still turning redish? its not going to turn back to green over night it will take time for it to turn back to green if that is what the problem was.

bill109

Originally Posted by loopy101
http:///forum/post/3132041
what do you mean by its not doing any better? is it still turning redish? its not going to turn back to green over night it will take time for it to turn back to green if that is what the problem was.
no, its still turning somewhat a reddish color, but the color isnt as red, its more of a dull crimson now.. maybe its trying to turn back? ill have to keep an eye on it

V

vinnyraptor

http:///forum/post/3125672
4. elevated phosphates.
i have a large cluster of yellow star polyp and some of them are turning a lighter shade then the rest. its not just on one side its random but all over the cluster. the ones that are turning are also longer/bigger is this normal, good? bad? ty in advance

reefkprz

one other thing I have noticed over time if your coral is a deep water specimen and your running 10k or 65k they tend to brown up some, I believe that is due to again the "sun tan" effect, where they are used to mainly blue spectrum light from being on the sand bed or deeper water they brown out to protect themselves from the whiter lights. I saw a sterling example in a blastomussa wellsi, same blasto in two different tanks, one was growing super fast and was super bright colored when grown under 90% actinic light while the piece kept under 10k lighting didnt grow as fast and wasnt a dazzeling in color. it was a shock at the difference in appearance.

bill109

http:///forum/post/3133097
one other thing I have noticed over time if your coral is a deep water specimen and your running 10k or 65k they tend to brown up some, I believe that is due to again the "sun tan" effect, where they are used to mainly blue spectrum light from being on the sand bed or deeper water they brown out to protect themselves from the whiter lights. I saw a sterling example in a blastomussa wellsi, same blasto in two different tanks, one was growing super fast and was super bright colored when grown under 90% actinic light while the piece kept under 10k lighting didnt grow as fast and wasnt a dazzeling in color. it was a shock at the difference in appearance.
now that makes sense!
the lfs always has their actinics on.. i dont think i have ever seen the white lights on. i would assume its becaues the actincs make it all pop so much more and from a selling point of view, i would too.i have it shaded a little bit now. ill keep an eye out