Why is my LR turning white???

raedyaghnam

Does anyone know why my LR is turning white?? There is a white substance that resembles fine powder detergent showing on my LR!!! It does not remove from the LR when I try to scrape it off. I changed the light bulb on my lights last friday and notices the white substance today. It is covering most of the top part of the LR what is exposed to the lights. The bulb I added is a MH double ended lamp (150W/250W) color Temperature 20000K. I I have also noticed that some of the corals are not opening up like they used to but that was before I changed the bulb. Could this be from the light or some other reason?? Please help!!!!

yosemite sam

How long has the tank been set up, and what are your water parameters, particularly PH, Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium? What supplements are you adding?

mantisman51

I have a 6 bulb HO T5-4 standard bulbs and 2 blue actynic. I took one actynic out and put another white HO bulb in. About 3 days later all the coraline on the top of the LR was bleached white. Over the last couple weeks, new pink growth is coming back. I think it was burned off from the higher output of the new bulb.

raedyaghnam

The tank has been up for 8 months now and the parameters are PH 8.0 Salinity 1.023 Specific Gravity 30, nitrates < 0.2, GH >21d, KH 8d,No3 12. I add JBL TRACEMARIN 1, 2, and 3 with JBL Magnisium Marin once a week and I use Prodibio Bio Kit Reef ampules once every two weeks.

raedyaghnam

Originally Posted by mantisman51
http:///forum/post/3034175
I have a 6 bulb HO T5-4 standard bulbs and 2 blue actynic. I took one actynic out and put another white HO bulb in. About 3 days later all the coraline on the top of the LR was bleached white. Over the last couple weeks, new pink growth is coming back. I think it was burned off from the higher output of the new bulb.
Did it affect your corals??

mantisman51

My zoas stayed closed for a couple days and slowly started to get back to normal. The xenias moved down the rock.