Why is my Maroon digging?

coral keeper

Hello everyone! I have a 28 gallon reef with a pair of Maroons. The female is 3 inches and the male is 3/4 of an inch. (Here is a link to the 28 gallon diary. https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/322862/coral-keepers-28-gallon-nano-cube-hqi-diary ) The big female keeps on digging in the sand, it looks like a nest? Can someone tell me what she is doing? A nest to lay eggs? Shes been digging there for about a week already and keeps on digging. Here are some pictures. The 'nest' is near her xenia under a cave. I circled the 'nest' in red.

gmann1139

Is it 'hosting behavior?" I've seen my clowns rub every freaking surface in the tank in the attempt to find a host.
Do you have an anemone or something else that's hosting the clown? Is this right below it?

coral keeper

Originally Posted by gmann1139
http:///forum/post/2685890
Is it 'hosting behavior?" I've seen my clowns rub every freaking surface in the tank in the attempt to find a host.
Do you have an anemone or something else that's hosting the clown? Is this right below it?
Its hosting the xenia.

R

rcreations

Yea, my maroon digs a big hole right where she sleeps. She's dug it so deep, I can see the glass bottom. Crazy fish!

my maroon is on drugs I think because it does the same thing as yours butttttt he will dig a hole and then back up and swim as fast as possible into it and sand dust goes everywhere!!!!!

stdreb27

That is what they do. Mine digs into the sand then the other fish eat whatever comes out. It is interesting to watch.

kg111

Mine does the same thing. He cleaned out the whole corner of my 55g until it was completely down to the glass. We tried to fill the area back in when we would do water changes and as soon as we were done he would be right back there clearing the area again.

armlocker

mine does the same thing, ill see it fanning away sand with its tail like crazy until theres a 3-4 inch pile of sand against my front glass, i'll also see it carrying a mouthful of sand to the other side of the tank and spitting it out. Not much else to do in a tank i guess lol

alexknight

mine has now started to dig holes she never did it into I added my BTA now she dug a hole around the rock it is on =/

paintballer768

When I had my maroon, there were 4 noticeable holes where he would dig, but he wouldnt sleep in any of them. One was caused because apparently he decided he didnt like my crocea and wanted to bury it. I had to move the crocea cuz the clown was burying faster than I could blow it off.