why isnt everyone treated the same in are legal system

reefreak29

it just iritates me that people are treated differently in the courts. i read the other day about a black lady that was brutally beaten by 6 white people , all 6 of them are getting 20 to life for a hate crime. now 2 pages later in the same paper 4 black people beat the tare out of a white guy and they got nothin they were charged for battery. again a male teacher hase $ex with a girl from that scholl and gets 15 years but a female teacher has $ex with 4 boys and gets 2 yearsplease inlighten me and give me a reason why this happens . shouldnt everyone get the same penalty for the crime

dogstar

All crimes are not the same...I dont know for sure what crimes your talking about but if its the kids that got in a scuffle at a party and no serious injury vrs. the adults that kidnapped and tortured that girl for a week...those IMO are clearly not the same.....
But, I do agree that the justice system in this country does have some serious problems.....

seasalt101

i agree with you the system is so messed up the courts i think should stick with the jury system but the judges should be held to punishments that do not notice ---, race or religion and straight across the board no more 10-15 years this crime is a ten year that crime a twenty five and that crime life and that crime death...tobin

reefreak29

Originally Posted by Dogstar
All crimes are not the same...I dont know for sure what crimes your talking about but if its the kids that got in a scuffle at a party and no serious injury vrs. the adults that kidnapped and tortured that girl for a week...those IMO are clearly not the same.....
But, I do agree that the justice system in this country does have some serious problems.....
i didnt get the info from the net just my paper . it wasnt the kids at a party . this guy was left for dead and the judge lowered the crime from attenpted murder to battery he wasnt tortured for a weak but still left for dead

dogstar

Im sure theres a story to it. Your paper has the town and a date it happened, right ?...that would help.

T

tizzo

Yeah, it's always more than just the black and white of the crime itself. How it happened, where, ages, and how "bleeding heart" the jurors are that they pick. Another decision maker is which court it ends up in.

crimzy

The lack of uniformity is what makes our legal system work. We are intended to by a government of the people, by the people and for the people. It would be silly to have uniform sentences for each crime... why not have robots enforce justice?
The different results in each case depend on a multitude of factors. Don't you think that the guys getting the harsher sentence probably had a greater history of violence? Would you feel the same way if the white guys had been known KKK members and had commited several similar acts in the recent past? Maybe the one who was let off easy had never been in trouble before, was gainfully employed and was taking care of 5 children? Shouldn't the judge be able to look at more than just the offense? Isn't there a difference in the trauma caused to a teenage boy vs. a teenage girl when taken advantage of by a teacher?
There are so many different considerations for the judge. To just arbitrarily pointing out two different instances where people received different sentences, without knowing more, does not show that there was any injustice or prejudice.
And BTW, your scenarios are contrary to the statistics. Just so you are aware, typically black males receive much harsher sentences for their crimes than white males.

reefreak29

you think theres more trauma when a male teacher does it over a female teacher. thats balona they both commited the same crime in my book and should be givin the same sentence.

reefreak29

Originally Posted by crimzy
And BTW, your scenarios are contrary to the statistics. Just so you are aware, typically black males receive much harsher sentences for their crimes than white males.

yeah oj simpson comes to mind

crimzy

Originally Posted by reefreak29
you think theres more trauma when a male teacher does it over a female teacher. thats balona they both commited the same crime in my book and should be givin the same sentence.
And your opinion on the victim's emotional damage would be very important... if you were the JUDGE.
But since you're not (I think) then you're just another amateur psychologist theorizing on something he knows nothing about.
Originally Posted by reefreak29

yeah oj simpson comes to mind
While an entertaining comeback, if your point is that blacks are treated less harshly, or even equally, to whites in a courtroom then you would be completely, totally and absolutely wrong.

reefreak29

Originally Posted by crimzy
And your opinion on the victim's emotional damage would be very important... if you were the JUDGE.
But since you're not (I think) then you're just another amateur psychologist theorizing on something he knows nothing about.
While an entertaining comeback, if your point is that blacks are treated less harshly, or even equally, to whites in a courtroom then you would be completely, totally and absolutely wrong.

oh..... you must be a lawyer