Why isnt my GSP open?

kroch3rd

I have a 75g tank that is about 3 1/2 months old. I have a gsp, zoos, and 2 leathers. all my corals are doing fine except my gsp. i got it about a month ago along with the 2 leathers. About 3 days ago it closed up for no reason. all of my other corals are doing fine. my parameters are pretty much perfect except for calcium. is this normal for gsp's to do?
any advice will help. thanks

wangotango

what kind of flow are they in? if they are in too slow of water algae usually covers them and they wont open.
-Justin

kroch3rd

my tank is 22x flow and the powerhead is blowing pretty close to it. i dont have any aglea problems and there is no algea on my gsp.

reefreak29

Originally Posted by kroch3rd
my tank is 22x flow and the powerhead is blowing pretty close to it. i dont have any aglea problems and there is no algea on my gsp.
i was thinking its probably getting to much flow

kroch3rd

it seemed to like the flow, it never closed up when it was getting blown around. one morning i looked and it wasnt fully open. then the next day it opened less, and now today its pretty much not open at all.

mudplayerx

I agree with reefreak. Star polyps frequently close up for no obvious reason only to open back up days later. I have a lot of Star polyps in my tank and some areas haven't opened up in a couple of weeks. I'm pretty sure this is normal.