Why Isn't My Protein Skimmer Working?

jester

The u tube should be full of bubbly water. If it's not, check the connection between the air hose and power head. Maybee it's not tight or right.

bdubbya

Check the air line. My skimmer was having intermittent problems. I would get no bubbles at all or there would be big bubbles instead of micro bubbles. I had salt clogging my line, I rinsed it out and haven't had any problems since.

jdl/dayton

I am shocked no one has mentioned this. I am betting your skimmer just needs a good cleaning. What you need to do is take your skimmer off and submerge it in warm freshwater overnight. (ONLY Freshwater nothing else) This will dissolve most of the buildups within. Even if it "looks" clean I can assure you it is not after a year of running.
SHould be back to normal the next day when you reinstall it.

blutang

Thats sounds good, I'll do that tonight, when you say over night, my over night is probably gonna be like six hour, b/c I go to bed late and get up early....do you think about 8 hours would be sufficient?

jdl/dayton

I would just let it go until you get back. Not like your tank is going to collapse if your skimmer is not on it for a day.

slothy

hrmm my seaclone started to pull sludge in 2 days after installing it... looks like a dark brown/green sludge