Why not an anemone?

florida joe

While I was looking at my tank, I realized a very nice and easily maintained addition to my tank diversity was my rock anemone. While it may not have the flash of other anemone IMO it makes up for it in ease of keeping and lack of movement around the tank. Basically where you first introduce it is where it will stay. If you are thinking of keeping an anemone in your reef tank research this one it may be the easy to keep no frills one you are looking for

mr. limpid

Joe not your usual color additions, but interesting. I thought you have CC (picture looks like sand)they say they require sand substrate.

florida joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpid http:///t/390328/why-not-an-anemone#post_3456110
Joe not your usual color additions, but interesting. I thought you have CC (picture looks like sand)they say they require sand substrate.
My friend I do indeed have CC and that is what my anemone is on. They in fact do not need a sand bottom. They are not only found on the bottom in the wild but also on vertical rock faces hence the name rock anemone. In the home aquarium you can place one on rock with a deep crevice and the anemone will wedge its food into it to secure its position on the rock. Again I will say they very very rarely move from the place they are originally placed as long as they can get a foot hold.
Joe

mr. limpid

I read it wrong they will bury themselves in sand, not that they require sand. They say they prefer to live on shaded rock walls, so I take it they don't need special lighting?

florida joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpid http:///t/390328/why-not-an-anemone#post_3456126
I read it wrong they will bury themselves in sand, not that they require sand. They say they prefer to live on shaded rock walls, so I take it they don't need special lighting?
IMO they do not need any special lighting.
I have never target feed mine but if you feel that you’re lighting is weak you can target feed once a week